Monday 6 August 2018

Play: One for Sorrow

Uhh.. was tired all today, after the shenanigans again last night, flying back with Ryanair. Having said that, they were an hour earlier than last time.. we actually left at midnight, which was most impressive! I thought we'd just keep getting later and later. Anyway, our bags miraculously got there slightly after we did - the National Express ticket machine at Arrivals was broken though, and with the queue at the ticket desk, I decided to queue and buy from the roving agents. A very wise move, as it turned out, and I made the 2.30am bus, so was home 90 minutes earlier than last time. Mind you, I had trouble sleeping with the heat - it's much cooler in Ireland..

So, today was not one of my brighter days. Starting two weeks of plays(!), tonight, Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group was off to Westferry Circus again, for The Importance of Being Earnest. I RSVPed for that.. but then London Dramatic Arts announced that they were off to see One for Sorrow, at the Royal Court. They cleverly left the announcement until the theatre had sold out for today - I guess there was an offer. So they were the only place I could get a ticket, and I did - probably at a slightly higher price than the theatre charged. Anyway, better than sitting on the grass, in the heat.  Happily, my last meeting got finished in time for me to grab a bite to eat, given that the play started a bit later than average: another advantage of choosing this over Westferry Circus!

I was on the Tube again, of course - lucky enough to get a seat on both lines, and oh, such blissful aircon on the District Line! Arrived at the theatre box office at the same time as a rather harassed organiser - seems she's really snowed under at work. Anyway, they have a bar in the alleyway these days, which seemed more attractive than heading to the basement, considering we'd have to head upstairs for the play.. however, since they were closing at around the time that Pity started in the main house, the basement bar was where we ended up. Took our drinks upstairs in plastic - and I thought we'd never get there! The Jerwood Theatre must be in the attic of the Royal Court - we must have climbed at least five stories from the basement. I stopped halfway to read the cast list, so got my breath back and made it alive. Feeling a bit chesty again these days.

With open seating, they forgot to save me a seat, but I ended up just behind them - we had another couple in the back. Some famous faces there tonight too, apparently - more common here than in the main house. The seats weren't the most comfortable, I have to say, and I'm afraid I wriggled a bit, probably to the annoyance of those behind me. A bit stuffy too. One point of annoyance with the play itself I'll state right here - the lights are a bit blinding as you come in, and kind of pulsing - if you shade your eyes with your hands, you can make out a set that comprises a living room with dining area, where the entire play is set. But the lights are very annoying, as are the flashes that mark a scene change.

As the organiser remarked when I mentioned it, it is probably meant to unnerve us - certainly, the complete darkness before the start of each act does, which lasts for some time, punctuated by whispering that previews what's going to happen in that act. The first act is also preceded by the sounds of explosions, screams and gunfire - goes on for ages, and is not recommended for those of a nervous nature. I found it more comfortable to close my eyes for this bit. Set in London, the play tells the story of some kind of attack (perhaps terrorist) and its immediate aftermath. (So, two explosive plays running in the same building at the moment!)

The first act opens with a family - middle-aged couple and two intelligent, well-educated, and feisty young daughters, one at secondary school, the other at college, and both highly opinionated. An argument is in full flight - dinner has been abandoned, and sits there on the table for the entire play. The elder daughter, you see, anxious to do something in the face of the atrocities happening outside, with chaos reigning and the death toll rising rapidly, has taken such action as she knew how to do. She's tagged their house online as being "open" - i.e. they are willing to give refuge to anyone who feels they need it tonight. Her parents are predictably furious, and the ensuing argument is actually hilarious, as idealistic youth tries to trump the older generation. Little sis agrees with her, of course, and just wants to get out into the action. Surprise, surprise, they get a response to the message, and soon a young man is pounding on the door.

He's a personable young chap, as it happens, and most articulate, as is pointed out. He's a PhD student - in mechanical engineering. Makes robots. And he's brown-skinned. He also has a strange reluctance to take off his coat - they put this down to shock. He certainly gives the appearance of it when he comes in, all dusty from the explosions. This is where the play really took off for me, as he engages the whole family in argument, challenging their cosily held, politically correct assumptions. And as the night wears on, and tensions rise, their world begins to crumble around them.


With really clever, quick-fire dialogue through most of the play, I was highly engaged. As I remarked to one of the group, I love to see smug people getting told off! Unfortunately, the last 10 minutes or so don't really gel with the rest, as - well, we weren't quite sure what happened! Either there's a massive plot twist or the thing just goes completely off the rails. I'm going for the plot twist - but we needed a bit more to support that. As someone mused afterwards, it smacked of something that got finished in a hurry - which is a shame, as it could have been memorable. Still enjoyable though - runs until Saturday, with mostly limited availability; it is a small theatre, and was mostly full tonight, too.

At the interval, I hadn't fancied traipsing all the way down, only to drag myself upstairs again. So I stayed where I was - those who did go down took the lift back, wisely! Afterwards, nobody really fancied staying in the basement bar, so we hung around outside - à la Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS)! Happily, tonight someone did suggest that, if we were going to hang around chatting, we should do it over a drink - so we schlepped next door to Colbert, where they could have done with aircon! Anyway, they found us a booth down the back, and served us some tap water, some moreish frites, and some excellent wine, while we chatted about all sorts. A good evening was had all around - and I took the bus back, traffic being lighter now. Again, I have to marvel at the cute departure boards they have at bus stops around Sloane Square! Worth taking the bus just for those.

The rest of this week, as it happens, is with UITCS. Tomorrow, they're off to When Midnight Strikes, Upstairs at the Gatehouse. I guess I'll be on the Tube again, what with evening meetings.

On Wednesday, London Literary Walks was supposed to be back with "Brook Green" - another area near where I used to live! Actually, the first medical practice that I registered with, in London. Nice nurse - one very narky doctor. Sadly, he then cancelled - I don't know why, as his comment on the page disappeared with the page when he cancelled the event! Unfortunately, I'm now booked up for the rest of the Wednesdays in the month, too. Instead, this Wednesday, I'm off to Allelujah at the Bridge Theatre. Well, at least it's closer. Funnily enough, I accidentally nearly booked for the matinee of this - and there was better availability for the evening performance! Odd..

On Thursday, we're back to the Camden Fringe, with How to Be a Londoner in an Hour, at the Hen & Chickens Theatre. Then I'm down to Helen's for the weekend, for a party..

Next Monday, back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group, back to Westferry Circus.. this time it's for A Woman of No Importance.

On the 14th, with nothing on Meetup that I was interested in (and hadn't done), I'm headed with my £3.60 club to a play called Faith & Heresy, at The Bread & Roses in Clapham.

On the 15th - sorry, London Literary Walks, you didn't advertise early enough! Instead, I'm off with North London Friends for Things of Dry Hours, at the Young Vic.

On the 16th, I'm headed to Soho Theatre for The One. Then back to Ireland for the weekend, again.

On the 20th, I'm going with UITCS to the Arcola, for Elephant Steps.

On the 21st, the £3.60 club is providing me with a ticket to see Aprile Millo perform at Cadogan Hall. Gotta say, terrific value for something whose official prices start at £35!

And on the 22nd, again, missing out on London Literary Walks - instead, off with UITCS to the Camden Fringe. We're seeing Secondhand Stories and Whimsy, two short plays at The Lion and Unicorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment