Thursday 20 October 2016

Top Secret Comedy Club

Good timing for the Man with the Hat, scheduling an event for the evening of the frantic day in which I had two phone interviews! I needed some moral support, y'know? Anyway, it was Top Secret again, with Brendon Burns highlighting. Of course I booked. And although we were subsequently told he wouldn't be appearing - well hey, I wanted to meet the folks anyway!

So, off I set yesterday evening. Now, I've often thought of just getting the bus there, but it's never happened that I had time. Well, yesterday I did have time! And wouldn't you know, the 87 arrived at the stop just as I did. Fate, thought I. Fate took a funny turn down the road a bit though - traffic was heavy-ish, and just past Wandsworth Road Station, the driver got on the tannoy and told us he'd just found out there was a bad accident ahead, and he'd let us off right there if we wanted.

I'm destined never to get a bus all the way to Top Secret, eh? So, I got off, figured any kind of bus or car was out of the question - the closest station was Wandsworth Road, which I made my way back to, but that's Overground only. Which didn't take me anywhere useful except back to Clapham Junction, which is where I went. Was lucky enough to stumble on a Waterloo-bound train just as it pulled in. Getting somewhere now. The last leg was to get a bus from Waterloo - but it's only a few stops away, and several buses head that way: unfortunately, from various stops! Thus it was that I ended up scuttling in one direction after another in Waterloo, consulting Google Maps on my phone, adjusting my departure time, and desperately trying to figure out whether I could get to the bus stop in time for whatever it said was coming.

The solution was Stop F, which has three buses that stop at it, all of which head that way, and had buses due in three, and six, minutes. So I took the first one that happened along, got off at Aldwych, and walked ahead, then took the next left onto Drury Lane. Which turns out to be very long, especially when you're in a hurry! Was I ever glad to come across the club. The person checking names was at the top of the stairs this time, checked my name, and stamped my hand with something incomprehensible. Now, I was just in time for the show, pretty much, and it was quite crowded - I couldn't see anyone I knew, so when I found a seat over the side, I just took that. A scrum at the bar made me reluctant to queue for a drink, which meant that, for the first time, I was watching completely sober..

Great show, great audience! After the mc's traditional routine - which regulars will recognise - we opened with the very funny Francis Foster, who played on his Latino heritage, with a mother from Caracas.. to be followed by a clever set from Abigoliah, before the first break. Where the Man with the Hat wandered by (hello!), but there wasn't much point in my moving at that point.

Next pair up were the Malaysian Nigel Ng, who, of course, played up the Malaysian angle, and went down a treat - and Elliot Steel, son of Mark, who did a decent set, buoyed up by the remains of his pint of beer. To be followed by the second break, where the Man with the Hat wandered by again, saw me reading the property pages, and said enough was enough, rescuing me and depositing me among his flock, near the back. (Hello, all!)

A couple I knew next - Josh Robertson, who has a loyal following there, I think, and Bobby Mair, who had fun with a drunk heckler at the back of the right-hand side section. The night ended with someone whose name I can't remember at all, I'm afraid - but like Bobby Mair, he's Canadian. And apart from the drunk guy to the side, the audience proved highly entertaining - well done to all! Poor Josh was stood at the exit, brandishing branded hats, but I don't think he was doing much business..

As usual, we congregated outside afterwards, in the chilly night. Some of our number got caught downstairs, and took an age to get out - and then most didn't feel able to stay, as it had got quite late. So we were a small group, and the Man with the Hat said, well in that case, why not just cross the road, to the Sun? So we did, and got a table in the corner. Under the telly that was showing football. And yes, the men in the group were inspired to discuss that topic. While the ladies sighed pointedly, and discussed - other stuff.

Just what I needed, thanks guys! Handily, on the way home, maximum fare had kicked in (what with my shenanigans earlier), and I got a cheap bus trip, and a free train journey back from Waterloo. Still too late to blog though, being in Guildford again today.


Tonight, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for The Grateful and the Dead, their first event in the Arthouse, Crouch End. And the story is being told by the famous Ben Haggerty, no less!

Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend, it being my mother's birthday on Monday - I'm taking a couple of days off. (Still haven't got her a card yet!) Anyway, on Saturday we're off to a Mario Lanza tribute at the University Concert Hall, Limerick. Tickets wouldn't display, for some reason - I rang them and got them to print and hold them for us.

I fly back early on Tuesday, because I'm booked with London Dramatic Arts that night, to go to Amadeus, at the National.

Wednesday is something I've been looking forward to for a while - I'm off with London for a Tenner or Less (Funzing, not Man with Hat!) to Step on Board the Haunted Tube ExpressHallowe'en starts here, eh?!


And Thursday of next week is the next of the Man with the Hat's long season at the Opera House, where we're headed to see the comic opera, The Nose. I'm going cheap, as usual, of course, and sitting in the slips, with London for Less Than a Tenner. And wouldn't you know it, that's the day of my second interview..

No comments:

Post a Comment