Friday 14 October 2016

Concert: Mozart and Bach by Candlelight

As discussed later in the evening - the Man with the Hat's events show the passing of the seasons: the Globe and Pop-up Opera in the summer, St. Martin in the Fields in winter. Well, he took both of his groups to St. Martin in the Fields last night, for the first time in an age, for a concert featuring Mozart and Bach: Let's Do London - for less! were downstairs, London for Less Than a Tenner sat upstairs in the gallery. And so did I..

I got back from Guildford in time all right, but not to take the bus - so, train to Waterloo it was, and a Tube to Charing Cross. I had a choice of Bakerloo or Northern Line - took the Bakerloo, for which signs came first, took the exit conveniently marked for St. Martin in the Fields, and when I came out, there it was in front of me. Now, the Man with the Hat - who has been known to stand in the church porch - wasn't, on this occasion; he'd asked us to meet him in the crypt, stairs down to which are located in a porch to the side of the church. Unusually, when I went down, it took me a minute to see him - but there he was, hat betraying his identity, head bent over his phone, skulking in the corner with nowt but a Meetup sign and a list of names for company. Seems the venue don't like him to be too conspicuous - some places are like that.

Hey-ho, I picked up my ticket, and much-appreciated free programme! (I believe the programmes were courtesy of Chris, the cellist - Concertante were performing that night.) He shooed me into the café, where he said others were sitting - well, they'd already gone in, but I was hungry and stayed a bit; he'd said it didn't really matter what time we went in for the gallery, anyway. I'd have loved a proper meal, but contented myself with a slice of their excellent chocolate fudge cake (and a much-needed wine, celebrating being shot of Guildford for the week). And when I'd had that, I headed straight into the church via the stairs from the crypt, and walking along the gallery, spied Mary. So I sat with her.

Now, the Man with the Hat had warned that there's really no view from there - which was fine by me, I've sat in pretty much every position in the church at one time or another, and the view of the wedding-cake ceiling is gorgeous anyway:



As well as the aforementioned, they included - as usual - Albinoni and Piazzola in their repertoire, and the expected jokes - oldies, but goodies. And as I remarked over the course of the concert, this was exactly what I needed! After a rotten week in a job I no longer enjoy or want, the music was sublime, and absolutely transported me. Heavenly.

At the interval, we headed downstairs to the crypt café again, and I had another wine - had to gulp it when the bell rang, I wasn't sure about being allowed in with it! Anyway, after a gorgeous evening, we headed down the road to the Amba, as is our wont. Quite a few newbies in the group last night, to whom this was a new venue, and who were most impressed - it might be quite grand, but it has a cosy feel to it, with comfy chairs, friendly staff, and excellent food. I just had chips (and wine), but those chips were excellent - huge, fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside. Recommended. A terrific evening, and a good quota of men for once, which made a nice change for the Man with the Hat.

Bus home, although I mistook where the stop was. And by the time I got back, I was too exhausted to blog. Anyway, working from home today, and tonight Let's Do London - for less! are off to the Opera House, for Cosi Fan Tutte. Huzzah..

And tomorrow, I was supposed to be going on another of those ghost walks - this time, it's London's Ghostly Haunts, with Free London Events and Talks. However, up popped LDAM with a last-minute ticket to The Man of Good Hope, at the Young Vic again. Sounds interesting, all about a man that hikes through Africa - and goodness knows, I can go on a ghost walk any time..

No comments:

Post a Comment