Wednesday 19 October 2016

Talk: Insights of a War Crime Investigator

Ah, the great night of talks finally arrived. London Speaks Sessions  (i.e. Funzing) arranged no fewer than 10 talks last night, in different parts of London. In fact, the only reason I didn't book earlier was that I simply couldn't decide which to go to.

I finally plumped for Insights of a War Crime Investigator. On in Haggerston - turns out that's the Overground stop before Dalston Junction, but although I've been to Dalston Junction before, I never got off in Haggerston. Google Maps sent me by a route that didn't sound like the Funzing directions - handily, Funzing had included a directions link from the venue, which made more sense. 

Arrived home and headed straight out again, just in time to catch the Overground that goes straight there. Very crowded, but I eventually got a seat, and most got off at Canada Water. Haggerston was the second-last stop on my train:



Head right from the station- a handy sign directs you to Kingsland Road. Left at Tesco, cross the road, take the path just before the bridge, leading to the towpath. Pity it was dark already - I bet it looks lovely. Barges were moored all along - no railing to prevent you falling in though, and what with the lack of lighting, you wouldn't want to be too drunk! The main danger, however, may have been the cyclists - heavens, what with canals and cyclists, it could've been Amsterdam.

"Cross a little bridge" it said on the directions - yep (avoiding the cyclists), and on the other side, a gaily busy building was full of people. The actual venue was just past that, though-  helpfully indicated by a sign. I arrived just before 7 - turned out I hadn't read the blurb properly (well, I've been preoccupied), and the talk didn't start till 7.30. So I busied myself staring at the rather interesting art on the walls, until the organiser arrived. Heavens, she turned out to be the organiser of London Social Detours! I only ever signed up to one of her events, then ended up not going because I drove part of the way, then turned back when I discovered I'd forgotten my Oyster card.

A couple more arrived - she explained how drinks were available at the bar, but for toilets you'd have to visit the restaurant next door. And we were duly let in. Pity, actually, that I was there so early - those seats were not the most comfortable. Hey-ho, our speaker was already there, and just after start time, he took his place at the front and began his talk.

Quickly, he established that the theme of his talk was "communication". Said we don't have enough face-to-face talks anymore (I have to agree), and implied that lack of communication was the root of many international conflicts. He's had an interesting career - from a small Shropshire town, he joined the army and got himself sent to Northern Ireland, for his pains: a baptism of fire, and a good opportunity to experience lack of communication first-hand. Showed us a photo of a bombed-out bus, on which a colleague of his was killed.

This was followed by a stint as a police detective - a perfect combination for what he did next, answering an ad in the paper to become a UN war crime investigator! The rest of the talk was a fascinating tour through various trials and conflicts he's been involved with, and slightly interactive bits; we were asked to close our eyes and listen to the sound of air strikes; we were shown a video clip about an Israeli bombing of Gaza, asked a series of questions about it, and then had it proven to us how we could be misled by false reporting..

So, a fascinating subject, and what a career he's found for himself! Of course, he did point out to us how he was frequently terrified - it's not easy, being in conflict zones. Pity that, despite his emphasis on communication, his technology played up - as he apologised profusely, he kept saying that he wouldn't mind, but he was there hours early, testing it all! Never mind..

And so home, just about early enough to eat, and started the blog on the long Overground journey. Really needed some sleep though - would you believe it, I have no fewer than two phone interviews this afternoon! Ooh, wish me luck.. Tonight, it's back with the Man with the Hat, whee! - who's taking London for Less Than a Tenner to Top Secret again. Helen might come, but needs to get her car back from its MOT first. Anyway, a good day to have friends around me.

Tomorrow, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for The Grateful and the Dead, their first event in the Arthouse, Crouch End. And the story is being told by the famous Ben Haggerty, no less!

Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend, it being my mother's birthday on Monday - I'm taking a couple of days off. (Still haven't got her a card yet!) Anyway, on Saturday we're off to a Mario Lanza tribute at the University Concert Hall, Limerick. (Jeez, must print off the tickets beforehand!) It's hard to remember everything..

I fly back early on Tuesday, because I'm booked with London Dramatic Arts that night, to go to Amadeus, at the National.

Wednesday of next week is something I've been looking forward to for a while - I'm off with London for a Tenner or Less (Funzing, not Man with Hat!) to Step on Board the Haunted Tube ExpressHallowe'en starts here, eh?!

And Thursday of next week is the next of the Man with the Hat's long season at the Opera House, where we're headed to see the comic opera, The Nose. I'm going cheap, as usual, of course, and sitting in the slips, with London for Less Than a Tenner..

No comments:

Post a Comment