Thursday 20 October 2016

Storytelling: The Grateful and the Dead

Some things I gravitate towards, and the Crick Crack Club is one of my favourites. I'm a real evangelist for them - so many people haven't heard of storytelling for grownups, and I keep urging them to go; it's so good, the stories generally aren't ones you've heard before - although they are traditional - and I think everybody loves a good yarn.

Tarnation though, they would have to have it in Crouch End. Nothing against the place, but it's so far away.. the "fast" route was supposed to take nearly an hour, so I didn't bother to research the slower, cheaper, one. At least I was home in good time, and had visions even of being able to eat before I set out! (It was a late start.) So you can imagine the choice language that was uttered when I walked in the door to discover that we had no power - yes, they let the electricity meter run out again. I usually top it up at the post office, but they were closed by now, and although I had internet access on my phone, the Paypoint website wasn't loading, to tell me where my nearest alternative was. I ended up walking in the direction of the station - where, mercifully, that website finally loaded, and told me there was a newsagent's up the road where I could get it done.

And, as it happened, I even got a dinner wolfed down before heading off. So, train to Vauxhall, Victoria Line to Finsbury Park, take one of a couple of buses. I'd just missed a W3, but another was ready for the off - this is the terminus - and when it set off, I was on it. Get off at Tottenham Lane YMCA, and the Arthouse is just ahead on the left. The doors were marked - one Push, the other Pull - and the lobby crowded. I pushed my way through to the bar, where there seemed to be a lack of communication; when I told him I had printed out my ticket, he asked me for my payment card - and printed me off a ticket. Whatever. Entrance to the balcony was to the right, entrance to the ground floor to the left, and by the door marked "Live".

I'd chosen the front row - wouldn't do it again. I do like to be close to the action, but this venue has a raised stage, and I spent the entire show with my neck craned uncomfortably upwards. As usual, a bare stage - just a stool, and a piece of red fabric scrunched up along the edge to form a decoration:


Of course, for all that I was worried about being on time, the thing started quite late - and could afford to do so, being only an hour long, without interval. Ben Haggerty, whom I'm used to introducing the Crick Crack events, was last night introduced by another storyteller, Nell Phoenix. It was a nice change to hear Ben tell a story - tall, shaven-headed, and usually dressed in unrelieved black, complete with hat: although, last night, he did concede to some colour in the form of a rose-red tie - he's probably the most theatrical of the storytellers.

And he proved a delight to listen to, as he took us through the tale of Jack, who sets out on his adventures, and as he made sure to involve the audience as much as he could. It was interesting to hear him point out the traditional elements of the story as we came across them - this was an archetypal tale, with a cloak of invisibility, winged shoes, a sword of power.. sometimes it's good to deconstruct these things. A quest, a wedding, a debt repaid, and a moral at the end. Oh, and the meaning of the title, which becomes apparent right at the end. And - at least according to Mr. Haggerty - this story was the origin of the name of The Grateful Dead..

So, an enjoyable evening. Apart from my seating position - I'm not sitting in that row for the other shows I've booked - and the sheer length of the journey. Seems they're making this a featured venue - lordy me. Anyway, I picked up a flier on the way out - they've scheduled three more shows there, and I'm free on those dates, so have booked them. (They're not yet scheduled on Meetup.) A chilly wait at the bus stop up the road - gloves required - and Tube and train all the way home again. And after that journey (max fare achieved again) and, indeed, the week I've had, I was too exhausted to do more than start this last night. Although I see I published it by mistake. :-)

Today, I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend, it being my mother's birthday on Monday - I'm taking a couple of days off. and good riddance to the place. (Still haven't got her a card yet!) Anyway, tomorrow we're off to a Mario Lanza tribute at the University Concert Hall, Limerick. Tickets wouldn't display, for some reason - I rang them and got them to print and hold them for us.

I fly back early on Tuesday, because I'm booked with London Dramatic Arts that night, to go to Amadeus, at the National.

Wednesday is something I've been looking forward to for a while - I'm off with London for a Tenner or Less (Funzing, not Man with Hat!) to Step on Board the Haunted Tube ExpressHallowe'en starts here, eh?!

And Thursday is the next of the Man with the Hat's long season at the Opera House, where we're headed to see the comic opera, The Nose. I'm going cheap, as usual, of course, and sitting in the slips, with London for Less Than a Tenner. And wouldn't you know it, that's the day of my second interview..

No comments:

Post a Comment