Friday 28 October 2016

Haunted Tube Tour & Opera: The Nose

Oh sweet God almighty, what a week. Well, working chronologically, I did finally get to an event on Wednesday. London for a Tenner or Less (one of the Meetup groups created to advertise Funzing) has several instances scheduled of their Haunted Tube Tour. And on Wednesday, I finally made one. It was late enough that I didn't have trouble getting there - we had to meet outside Bethnal Green Tube at 8.

Only been there once before, and didn't travel direct on that occasion; it turned out that it would take over an hour by bus alone - which is a bit much for me - but the Overground would drop me within walking distance, so that's what I took, racing up the stairs and practically collapsing onto the train, just making it in time. I'd managed to get my breathing back to a reasonable level by the time we set off, and got a seat after a few stops. Mind you, it's just as well the distance between stops isn't as long later on as for the first stops! I was really in fear of not making it to my destination in time. But it dropped me in Whitechapel in plenty of time for what was promised to be about a 15-minute walk.

Very ethnically diverse area, this - plenty to look at as I walked:


Exiting the station was a bit confusing, with the regular entrance closed for construction work, but there are plenty of maps to keep you on the right track. And with the maps app on my phone, I soon made it onto the right road, and found myself at the Tube station. Now, the Funzing page had said to meet at the Stairway to Heaven memorial in the adjacent park, erected in memory of the victims of the Bethnal Green Tube disaster: but actually, the park gates were closed, so we clustered outside them.

Now, the Funzing page also said that our guide would be a lady called Siwan, and pictured her dressed in a long, black cape. Actually, what we got was a smartly dressed chap called Nick - I believe that several different guides run this tour. He was friendly, he was knowledgeable, and he carried an instruction sheet, which I sneaked a look at, a couple of times - it included the stories he had to tell, as well as details of which Tube lines he should take, and where to go within the stations to tell the stories. You see, we tapped in at Bethnal Green, and basically travelled around various stations that were associated with grisly incidents or ghostly stories, before finally tapping out at Covent Garden. Handy for me - I was headed in the direction of home!


Good place to start, Bethnal Green, with its wartime disaster. At Bank, poor Nick had trouble being heard over the accompanying busker down the hall.. Aldgate and Liverpool Street, for me, had the most interesting stories, with the mysterious cctv ghost of Liverpool Street being a real attraction! On to Farringdon, and what Nick described as "the loudest pa announcements on the Underground", then King's Cross, finishing with a theatreland murder at Covent Garden.

It's a really interesting tour, on what is a fascinating transit system in its own right - this is the first Tube tour I've taken, and I was enthralled. Caveat - as always with the Tube, there's a fair bit of climbing up and down stairs within stations, while changing lines. We were glad of the rest, when we got a seat on the trains between stations! Also, do remember, if going on this or similar, to top up your Oyster card in advance, if that's what you're using - he gave us time to do so, but it's a nuisance. Popular around Hallowe'en, of course, and currently the next available date is the 7th - but they run right into December. Recommended.

It runs for about two hours, and I had to be up early next day, so no blogging that night. Now, the next day was Thursday - date of my second interview, and the recruiters wanted to see me first. Well, I scheduled that nice and early, and afterwards had time for one of them to take me for - what was, for me, brunch at the local Costa. And a lovely one it was - a piping hot ham and cheese toastie, with a delicious hot chocolate. Also recommended! Afterwards, it was a bit far to walk to the interview - but I had time to take the bus. The #25 is supposed to be one of the good scenic routes, and I certainly enjoyed it:


My destination was Golden Square, in Soho, where I arrived early enough to admire the sculptures:


..and the interview seemed to go really well - watch this space. Anyhow, it's really central, and although I was booked to go to the Opera House later, I still had time to eat after I'd finished. Chinese beckoned, and I was an easy walk from Chinatown - where I located my last favourite, New Loon Fung. Lordy, it's so long since I ate Chinese, I nearly forgot to ask for a fork! (You don't want to see me handle chopsticks - it can get messy.) And yes, their honey and lemon chicken is as delicious as ever - although a couple of pieces were very chewy.


I was dead early for the opera - the Man with the Hat was shepherding us all to see The Nose, written by Shostakovich and based on a satirical short story by Gogol. Well hey, means I got the pick of the tickets!


Two hours without interval.. and as you can imagine, a nose features prominently. Actually, in one scene, a line of tap-dancing noses, which I think everyone agreed represented the highlight of the evening. 'Tis a surreal tale of a chap that wakes up one morning.. noseless. Terrible state of affairs, and he runs from pillar to post, amidst mindless bureaucracy, getting nowhere. While his nose, on the other hand - so to speak - dresses up in a posh uniform, busily evading capture as it skips through the town.

Quite a surreal evening overall, with one actor entering via the stalls, a narrator remarking how weird this all is, and a nose with a life of its own. It's been described as being over-long not to have an interval, but if you have a liking for the absurd, you're sure to like something in this. Overall, the music isn't very tuneful, apart from one funeral scene, where the cast join in chorus and produce one of those gorgeous, loud sounds that the Opera House does so well. Recommended, for fans of the absurd. Mind you, when I checked, there were only two performances left with remaining seats: the 1 & 9 November. Hey-ho, off you go..

Afterwards, we usually repair to the Sun, but apparently they had a Hallowe'en thing on last night, so instead we went to our previous haunt, the Covent Garden, which used to be called The Globe - just across the road. They were crowded downstairs - and upstairs - but the ever-resourceful Man with the Hat had told us to ask them to open the top level, if we needed space - and that's what they did, leaving it all to us. Good chat followed - but I wish I knew what white wine I'd ordered (I didn't specify), because I'd hate to have it again..

After we watched the Man with the Hat wobble off on his bike, we walked to Waterloo, where I had a cheap train ride home, given all my travels during the day (max fare again). Again, I had to be in Guildford today, so again, the blog didn't get written. Met Helen for lunch in Heart and Soul - another one looking for a job: must be contagious! I see they've changed the menu somewhat - I had some delicious garlic bread, which was eventually followed by a quite spicy Cajun chicken burger (service hasn't improved, I notice). Good food - just don't go there if you're in a hurry.

Now, I was thinking of a film for tonight - hence the delay with the blog, although the film list was a good bit shorter than usual. However, when I finished it - top of the list was Starfish, based on the true story of a man who contracted a particularly vicious case of septicaemia, losing his hands and part of his face. Oh wonderful. Just what I didn't need, on the day I was supposed to hear whether I'd got the job, but didn't hear. Nah, I stayed in and wrote the blog instead, otherwise it'd never have got done!

The weekend is devoted to the Man with the Hat - well, the afternoons, anyway! Tomorrow, we're back at the Opera House for a production of Anastasia - must remember to get up, it's a matinee! Both groups going, as usual for here - London for Less Than a Tenner in the slips, as usual, Let's Do London - for Less! in the Amphiteatre.

And on Sunday, he's got no fewer than three instances of London for Less Than a Tenner, heading off to a guided tour of Billingsgate Roman House & Baths - one each at 12.30, 2, and 3pm. He originally advertised the 12.30 and I booked - then he advertised the 2pm one, and offered us the chance to switch if we liked. So I did, for a bit of a lie-in! He finally put one up for 3pm as well, which is now sold out, I see..

Monday is Hallowe'en (whoopee)! I was supposed to go on a guided walk - London for a Tenner or Less again, Funzing again, and wouldn't you know, I was on a walk with the same guide last month. Wasn't massively impressed - I finally cancelled it (Funzing gives a refund if you cancel at least 48 hours in advance), and since I had the film list done, decided I'd go to a film that night instead. Horror, natch. Top rated horror, as it has been for a while, is Don't Breathe, about a group of thieves that break into a blind man's home to rob him, but get more than they bargained for.. unfortunately, locally it's only showing quite late at night, but I can grab a showing at Vue West End at 6:30 or a bit later, depending what suits. Much scarier than a ghost walk, I'll bet.

Tuesday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, who are back in Rich Mix, with the appropriately titled Day of the Dead. Includes the excellent Nell Phoenix and - my favourite - Clare Muireann Murphy.

Wednesday, I'm at a classical concert called Goyescas: Music in the time of Goya, in St. John's Smith Square. I'm going in the company of Kensington Classical Music.

Thursday, I'm going to the much over-advertised free comedy in Hammersmith - this one's called Bonfire Special, and I've signed up to go with five different groups (just because I can): Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, Random London, London Art Comedy & Culture Lovers, London Live Comedy, and London for a Tenner or Less, who advertised the thing no fewer than three times themselves. So, if I get a better offer that night, I'll have a lot to cancel, eh?!

Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and we're off to Aida at the University Concert Hall that Saturday. Another thing to remember to print off tickets for - website permitting!

On Monday 7th, I've booked for a talk given by a new group, Org London, whose theme is Digital Dystopias: Orwell's 1984 and the Internet Age. Or I might go to a film - we'll see.

Tuesday 8th, yippee, I'm back with free comedy in Hammersmith! (so far). Only with three groups so far - Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, London Live Comedy, and London for a Tenner or Less (just the once).

Wednesday 9th is back with the Man with the Hat, who's taking Let's Do London - for less! to Southwark Playhouse, to see Orca.

Thursday 10th - yes, you guessed it, free comedy in Hammersmith! Think of it as a placeholder. Funnily enough, I'd just booked with London for a Tenner or Less, and only just noticed that Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and London Live Comedy, were also advertising. Again. So I've booked. Again. What the hey, it's free.

Now, on Friday 11th, London Dramatic Arts are off to see King Lear at the Barbican. Haven't seen that since I studied it in school. Well, I'm off to see it too - cheaper, and sat in the very back row! Hopefully, with the maze that the Barbican is, it'll be fairly easy to avoid them.

And I did have something to do on the 12th - or rather, the Man with the Hat did, until hardly anyone booked, so he cancelled! Bah humbug. Might go to the Lord Mayor's show, which is on that day. Or perhaps a film..


No comments:

Post a Comment