Friday 14 October 2016

Opera: Cosi Fan Tutte

Always liked Mozart. And here we were again, the Man with the Hat (who has started to remark on the fact that he's only ever referred to as the Man with the Hat) taking us to hear Mozart, two nights in a row. Tonight, Let's Do London - for less! was off to Cosi Fan Tutte, in the Opera House. Offering a variety of seats - I chose the slips, which were the cheapest. I'm consistent that way.

Anyway, I was working from home. And work I did - producing the most goddamn pointless report at the last minute, which meant I was rushing - and this being a long opera, it was starting early; indeed, the Man with the Hat had sent an extra message to warn us of the early start time. Well, fastest was train to Waterloo - and I have never resented more that infuriating delay, right outside the station.

I was pushing it by this time - I already only had about 10 minutes to go. So I hopped in a taxi, explained to the nice man where I was going, and just how fast I had to be there. And give it this, it's a scenic trip across the river. But oh my, traffic was horrendous. The driver started by complaining about all the minicabs hogging the road, then started to wonder whether there'd been an accident - he even remarked that Friday evenings are usually lighter than usual. Meantime, I was texting the Man with the Hat, who promised to leave my ticket at the box office.

When we were stuck in yet another jam on the other side, the driver said that honestly, he had no idea how long we'd be there, and I should probably hop out here - he wouldn't charge. Bless! and they complain about black cab drivers. Even pointed me in the direction of the Tube, which I caught to Temple, and finished by scuttling through the intricate back streets of the West End. (He'd come by Westminster, see, trying to avoid the traffic.. ironically, I'd have done better if he hadn't detoured.)


Picked up my ticket at the temporary box office - they're renovating, and the regular one is closed. Did the bag check, and the nice man looked at my ticket and apologetically explained that I was late. Well, duh, but it was nice of him to be apologetic, all the same. Anyway, he directed me to the manager, and the manager led me to the guy with the seating plan, and he had a look and said "there". Whereupon the manager led me up lots of stairs, and we ended up in.. the Director's Box! :-) And here was I thinking I'd be stuck in the (apparently quite plush) tv room. He did mention that this was a nicer seat than the one I'd booked. I asked him whether I could stay. He laughed. "No."


Note, in the second photo, the dinky little individual screens for people sat in the front of that box - they have the surtitles displayed on them, so you don't have to crane your neck. Aww.. Well, at the interval I bade farewell to my posh box and climbed lots more stairs, to my official seat in the slips:


Yeah.. hey-ho, apparently the acoustics are better up there. And certainly, it did sound lovely, and was a lighthearted production, with some hilarious moments. Mind you, I heard some negative feedback on the staging, which was quite unusual. Quite liked it myself, it had a feel of Pop-Up Opera about it, with people wandering in and out. There was a very obviously theatrical feel to it, with stagehands constantly moving bits of scenery around, everything happening on a stage of some kind. The Guardian carried an interview with the director, who explained that the theatricality is a kind of device to explain how the women in the opera can be deceived, not recognising their lovers - in a world where everything is false, you learn not to trust what you see.

It also makes it a fun opera to stage, and to watch - long though, and frankly, I was glad to stand at the end. The Man with the Hat (and the winged feet) had already nipped out, and we gathered outside, before heading to The Sun Tavern - a place that somehow I can never remember the way to. Upstairs, as usual, for a quieter experience, and more seating. And we had a great natter, about everything and nothing. As all great natters tend to be.

And so home, on the 87 - when I found the bus stop (don't know why, but I'm having trouble with that route these days).


And tomorrow, I was supposed to be going on another of those ghost walks - this time, it's London's Ghostly Haunts, with Free London Events and Talks. However, up popped LDAM with a last-minute ticket to The Man of Good Hope, at the Young Vic again. Sounds interesting, all about a man that hikes through Africa - and goodness knows, I can go on a ghost walk any time..

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete