Tuesday 27 August 2013

The Pride

Met Liam, from work, on the way into town and, seeing the headline on the Evening Standard that someone was reading, we had a long discussion about Syria. It shortened the journey - thanks, Liam.

Disembarking from the Tube, I made my way to Trafalgar Studios for The Pride. I got a ticket from lastminute.com for this - part of their Theatre Fortnight. I remember getting a cheap ticket from them before and ending up front row centre. Tonight, for less than bottom price, I didn't end up front row centre - I ended up front row, two from the centre. I love lastminute.com..

I also loved this play. Three of the four actors play similar characters in two timeframes - 1958 and 2008 - in which the men's love for one another plays out against two very different backgrounds: one of oppression, one of acceptance. The script sparkles, the acting is first-rate, the staging is very clever, and if I hadn't had so much on my lap, courtesy of a very well stocked usher's tray at the interval - from which I had not only ice cream (chocolate truffle) but also wine - I'd have given a standing ovation too. I did cheer.

And when they came on for their second bow, they brandished placards reading "To Russia with Love". Cute! Very highly recommended - runs until November 9.

For tomorrow, I'm thinking of going to the free play at The Scoop for the first time, weather permitting - it's an outdoor venue between London Bridge and Tower Bridge. The weather is supposed to be fine, and you can bring your own food. Tomorrow, they're staging Oedipus Rex and Antigone. And on Thursday, I have another lastminute.com Theatre Fortnight ticket - to Fences, with Lenny Henry. Again, the cheapest option. Does that mean I'll be sitting onstage with him, I wonder..?

PS Link to photos now included on Lille: Departure post.

No comments:

Post a Comment