Thursday 8 August 2013

Film: The Heat

Well, I seem to have found the secret to getting my ticket checked immediately at the Odeon Kensington. Wander past the guy standing outside the other door, the one not associated with your screen. He'll take it for you - or at least, he will if he's the chap with the beard and the black, curly hair. Yay! Third time lucky, eh?

With free seating now, I decided to put myself in front of the empty wheelchair space, so I'd have loads of legroom. Sat through the same old ads again.. including the "Summer 2013 at the cinema" one, where I've got decent at namechecking the film clips shown. I've seen some of the films in that by now.

The Heat is a cop comedy starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy, whom I only know from the tv series Mike & Molly, which I've seen maybe a couple of times. However, it seems she's been appearing in lots of comedies I haven't seen, but have heard of - The Back-up Plan, Bridesmaids, This Is 40, Identity Thief, The Hangover Part III..

This could be her big break. Reviews I've read of this before now have noted the great chemistry between her and Bullock, and they're absolutely right. It's comedy gold - they are really terrific together, a great double-act, and that's rare. The sequel is already in the pipeline, I hear, and that ain't surprising at all. Strongly recommended!

Oh, and I can now testify that the downstairs toilets at the Odeon Kensington, while not quite as fragrant as those upstairs, are still quite a step up from those in the Vue Shepherd's Bush..

Taking a break from films for the next couple of days, and shifting to plays instead. Tomorrow is The Boat Factory, at the King's Head, Islington, where I've been a couple of times before. A nice, intimate venue - just a room behind a pub - they show some interesting productions. It'll make a nice change from the cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment