Monday 5 August 2013

Film: The Conjuring

I'm a huge horror fan - particularly of psychological horror. So, when I saw that The Conjuring was rated highly on IMDB, that was a must-see.. The closest place it's showing is the Vue Shepherd's Bush, so I trotted along there this evening. Well, I say trotted - the original plan was to walk, but it started to pour rain around the time I was thinking of leaving, so there was nothing for it but the bus. Fortunately, it had stopped by the time I came out, and I walked home.

I went to the early evening showing, so there was hardly anyone there. Well, some arrived late - but still, it wasn't a third full. The trailers, interestingly, included one for Insidious Chapter 2, which is to be released on, would you believe, Friday 13th September (no rating yet on IMDB). Appropriately, because The Conjuring has the same director as Insidious, and its sequel, Insidious Chapter 2: James Wan. He also directed, and wrote the story for, Saw. Remember that name, I suspect we will hear more from him.

The Conjuring, if you don't know, is the apparently true story of a haunted house that was investigated by Ed and Lorraine Warren in 1971. They were also the people who investigated the Amityville Horror, and apparently Ed was the only non-ordained demonologist recognised by the Catholic Church. Ed is played in the film by the lead actor from Insidious - Patrick Wilson. Vera Farmiga plays Lorraine.

The fact that they share a lead actor is one of the many things in The Conjuring, particularly in the first half, that remind me of Insidious. Also the lighting, the camerawork - the style will be very familiar to anyone who's seen it. The other interesting facet of the first part of the film, for me, was the focus on the doll Annabelle, which ends up playing a prominent role at one part of the film. I've heard of Annabelle before, it was nice to see her in the - eh - flesh.. although that's not what she actually looks like. But that story alone is fascinating.

There were some folks at the screening I attended, sitting in the back, who felt compelled to giggle every time something scary popped out of the shadows, or whatever.. and then we got to the second part of the film, and the giggling at the back stopped. I can best describe it by repeating the words of one critic, who remarked that, if half of what happened in the film is true, we should be very afraid. You could describe it as a film with nearly every horrific occurrence known to humanity thrown in. You name it, they've probably got it - hang onto your hats, folks, this is a roller-coaster ride to hell. Me, I found I couldn't actually shut my mouth - I was literally agape for half the film.

I really like this director, I hope we get a lot more from him. He has a real feel for horror. I have one quibble, which is his tendency to throw in overtly scary music when something scary happens. Fortunately, we don't get much of that - or don't notice - in the second half of The Conjuring. But my word, this is a good film.. I still feel a bit shaken.

Good job I'm going to comedies for the next few days. Red 2 tomorrow, Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa on Wednesday, and The Heat on Thursday, all in the Odeon Kensington. The ticket machine will definitely throw a wobbly. Then it's a couple of days of plays, for a change - The Boat Factory, which centres on the old Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast, on Friday, and A Season in the Congo on Saturday.

But for now, I'm going back to see how much more I can find out about the truth behind The Conjuring..

No comments:

Post a Comment