Saturday 10 August 2013

A Season in the Congo

Had the devil of a time getting a ticket for A Season in the Congo, at the Young Vic. In fact, looking at the website, I see it's now completely sold out, despite having had extra performances scheduled, according to the posters at the venue. I got a ticket for today's matinee two weeks ago - today was the first availability, and at that, there were only two seats remaining: one downstairs, the most expensive, and one in the gallery, which turned out to be a stool. So I went with the seat downstairs.

I was glad to be heading to Southwark, rather than somewhere north of the river, given that the Piccadilly Line is out of action in the city centre this weekend. Mind you, that's probably why the poor old District Line was crammed - nearly as bad as rush hour! And, of course, the journey took 15 minutes longer than Google Maps predicted - just made it in time. Having said that, the performance did start late. And, despite it being sold out, I noticed some empty seats, although not many. Maybe the people that should have been sitting in them had trouble getting there on time..

There was a chap on stage with an electric guitar when we arrived. He had a busy time of it, playing that and percussion through most of the show. For this is a riot of colour, music and dance. It energetically tells the story of the fight for independence of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in 1960, and of its first prime minister, Patrice Lumumba, who - not giving anything much away - is assassinated by his old chum, whom he promoted to army chief of staff: Joseph Mobutu, later known as Mobutu Sese Seko. The DRC's very own dictator.

Short story - after the idealism of independence, the dream turns sour with the intervention of western powers, who do not come out looking well. And the story becomes a familiar one, in African terms, of everything going down the toilet. Oh, and in a play with an exclusively black cast, the white people are represented by (black) actors wearing pig snouts. And the Belgian government, from which the DRC won its independence, are portrayed as giant puppets.

Certainly, it makes an interesting tale. I will be looking up the facts shortly. The play is interestingly staged, and the lead actor, playing Lumumba, is terrific. And they got a standing ovation. But.. I now understand the mixed reviews. See, I didn't enjoy this as much as The Boat Factory, which I saw last night. The reason is simple - I was emotionally engaged with that. There wasn't as much emotion, per say, in this - more action, menace, stylised gunfights. There was some grief, but it was downplayed.

So.. why didn't The Boat Factory get a standing ovation? Because there were only two people in it, and it was a simpler production? Anyway, this is worth seeing, if you can get a ticket. Your only hope now seems to be to queue for returns. Runs until the 24th. Or you could go see The Boat Factory, which I think is streets better, and is not selling out. Only runs until the 17th.

Afterwards, I fancied a bite to eat. Luckily, there are tons of restaurants near the Young Vic. I didn't fancy the look of the Chinese, and the Indians weren't open yet, so I ended up in the "Mediterranean" restaurant, Paradiso. Where the service was great, and the food tasty, if a bit salty. And the potatoes I got with my main were a bit tough. When I asked for a dessert menu, the waiter suggested I have the dessert special. I said I'd like to see the menu anyway, and he seemed positively offended.. said the special was the best thing on the menu. Pear and ricotta cake - it was nice, but the scoop of ice cream I got with it was better. I should just have had ice cream.

Tomorrow, it's back to film. And the film it's looking like is The Bad and the Beautiful, from 1952, starring Kirk Douglas and Lana Turner. Looks really good - I've never seen it, and it's about time I did. It's showing in the Riverside Studios, Hammersmith, as the first part of one of  their double-bills. I'm not interested in the second part, which is Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, which I've seen and don't wish to see again - but I won't be losing out, because they charge the same for a double-bill as for a single showing. Now, there's value! I'll make use of that some other time. I shall walk, if it's fine..

No comments:

Post a Comment