Saturday 24 August 2013

Lille: Day 1

I got up deliciously late today. Didn't bother with the (expensive) hotel breakfast - I knew there are half a dozen restaurants / cafes within five minutes' walk of the hotel. Also found a patisserie, round the corner. No, you wouldn't starve. Despite the "Do not disturb" sign on my door, I still got a knock on the door from the maid, to clean the room. Fortunately, I was up by then and let her in to clean around me. I notice that, despite what it said on the hotel information, she did not replenish the peanuts I had from the minibar last night. Huh.

Unfortunately, it lashed rain at lunchtime, and continued to drizzle for most of the afternoon. It cleared up eventually, which was when I got most of my sightseeing done. Observations:
1. Lille is very colourful. Gorgeous old buildings abound.
2. Lille is very concerned that you not go hungry. Restaurants, cafes, and chocolate shops abound. Indeed, I shall have to do an inventory of chocolate shops tomorrow.

Anyway, I took some photos, but you'll have to wait for them, because I took them with my camera, and didn't bring the connector to plug it into the laptop. Ah well.

After much sad and fruitless searching for a sort of grocery store, where I could just get a bottle of wine to have in my room (none in the minibar) and a packet of chocolate biscuits or something, finally found one this evening. Bonanza!! One of only two white, screwcap wines they had, the one I bought turned out to be a mixture of wine and orange juice. Tastes like neither, but it's very refreshing. Unfortunately, I mentioned to my mother that yes, they do sell liquors, and now she wants me to bring some. Ay-ay.. that means I'll have to check in a bag when I go back to Ireland next. And I'm not looking forward to carrying them back home when I get to London. The hardship..

Will probably get the rest of the sightseeing done tomorrow. My, it's tiring.. but I would definitely recommend Lille for a weekend of pampering. Food and drink-wise, at least..!

No comments:

Post a Comment