Sunday 11 August 2013

Film: The Bad and the Beautiful

Despite some rain this morning, it cleared up nicely in the evening and I did, indeed, walk to Riverside Studios for their double-bill. I was only interested in the first, The Bad and the Beautiful - the other was Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, which I've seen and wasn't interested in seeing again. However, I didn't lose out - they only charge the same for a double-bill as for a single film. I even got a 10% discount voucher to use at the bar! So I did. I could've taken my drink upstairs with me, but had time to finish it in the bar.

The Bad and the Beautiful, directed by Vincente Minelli, stars Kirk Douglas as the film producer nobody likes. He's pissed off three old friends - including Lana Turner, who was once his leading lady, in love and in films - and wants them to come back to work with him once more, on his comeback film. It's a good story, and showcases plenty of old Hollywood glamour. Ah, the fashions.. and it's supposed to have been a real expose in its day, giving a behind-the-scenes look at how Hollywood really works.

And now I've seen it, and can ignore it when some cinema shows it again, as they regularly do. And that's about all I have to say about it. It was pleasant to watch, but didn't engage me as much as, say, Kirk Douglas in Paths of Glory, which was made a few years later.

Coming home, and fancying a meal out, I remembered that Latymer's is on the way, and that I once had an excellent Thai meal there, so decided to stop off there again. It's a pub, with a restaurant at the back - you can also get your meal served to you in the bar. On this occasion, I decided to sit in the restaurant. Service is excellent - prompt and friendly - and the food as delicious as I remembered. Good job I came when I did - I wasn't finished my main course yet when someone came to tell me that the kitchen was closing, and ask whether I wanted anything else. I had been planning to have a dessert, but decided not to, when I heard this. So - take note - the kitchen closes at 9. On a Sunday, anyway. Prices very reasonable. Recommended!

Looking ahead, I saw that the film I was planning to see on Tuesday - Brighton Rock at the BFI - was half booked out already, so I've booked that. Annoyingly, all the cheap Tuesday seats were already gone. And, looking further ahead, I fancied taking a jaunt by Eurostar for the bank holiday weekend. I've been to Paris a couple of times, seen the sights - so instead, I'm off to Lille for a few days. In the nearer-term, I'm thinking of hitting Riverside Studios again tomorrow for another of their double-bills.. this time, a double of Akira Kurosawa films: Yojimbo and Rashomon. Or, indeed, Rashomon is on YouTube, if I get tired of sitting there all night..

No comments:

Post a Comment