Thursday 9 May 2013

Gutted

Boy, am I glad I trailed all the way to the Theatre Royal, Stratford last night to see Gutted! Not that it's a difficult journey at all, just a long one, being on the other side of the city. But it is so worth it..

I'd also forgotten what a nice theatre this is. A short walk from Stratford station, it's right beside the Stratford Picturehouse cinema in Theatre Square. Slightly cheaper interval icecreams than usual, at £2 (but they didn't have chocolate!). And here's yet another good reason to get your ticket in person, if possible. That's what I did this time, as it isn't selling out at all - in fact, there were all of six rows of people there (easy to tell, they had us all in the front six rows).

1. Getting your ticket in person, on the night, avoids booking fees. Of course, not all theatres charge them, but it also avoids those "suggested donations". Not that I mind them, but it makes a nice change not to be hit for them.

2. Getting your ticket in person, on the night, just before you go in means you can change plans if necessary, and you don't lose money if you can't make it, or you're late.

3. What happened to me last night was - I had seen, when I checked, that there were plenty of seats available, and that there were two prices - £17 in the front stalls, £13 at the back. So I decided the back stalls would be fine. When I arrived, the lady at the box office suggested  I take F5 at £17. There was a pause. "Or," she said, "you can have K8 for £13" (further back). I said I'd have that one, and after a moment she said that there'd be a gap, and she'd give me F5 for £13. Result..! You don't get that kind of service online..

Anyway, this play was so good I bought the playtext, which is the first time I've ever done that. Gritty, although not as harrowing as it says in the Time Out review. Not as much as Mies Julie. And that line that supposedly makes everyone gasp only made about 1/3 of the people gasp last night. Maybe we're too hardened to that kind of thing.

What was lovely was that the writer was watching from the upper level! He must've been the only person up there. I wouldn't have noticed him except that the actors paid him tribute at the end, and I was one of those giving a standing ovation, and turned to look, whereupon I saw him leaning over the balcony. Recognised him from the picture on the playtext. I highly recommend this - very, very well done. Runs until 25th.

In other news, I've noticed in the papers the last couple of days that Helen Mirren has been in the news for running out, in the interval, to complain at a group of protesters that disrupted the first half of the play she's in. Not that she doesn't support their cause, just the noise they were making. Thing is, the play she's in is The Audience, and she ran out dressed as the queen. :-) Which must have made quite a scene, with the language she's famous for using on occasion. Another highly recommended play, btw - if you have an interest in royalty - despite the higher ticket price and difficulty in getting tickets. And a well deserved Olivier award for her. Runs until 15th June.

Sleeping Arrangements in the Landor tonight. Then back to Ireland for the weekend..

No comments:

Post a Comment