Wednesday 29 May 2013

Film: The Moth Diaries

I wouldn't have gone to see this if they hadn't been giving free tickets away on SeeFilmFirst. It was this, or another film at the other end of town, 50mins journey each way. This, I could walk to, and I did. Decent weather for it, although the rows and rows of pretty identical terraced residential properties on the way to Shepherd's Bush felt a bit soul-destroying.

IMDB gives The Moth Diaries 4.7. I feel more generous about it - I'll give it a 6. Set in the rarified atmosphere of a girls' boarding school that used to be a hotel, the pleasant setting is disturbed by the arrival of, frankly, a vampire. One that has no problem with daylight, and tends to turn into a swarm of moths rather than bats. But anyway.

I find it interesting that over two-thirds of the IMDB reviews are by critics. I wonder what they were expecting. Certainly, it's not at all scary - unless you're of a particularly susceptible nature. It actually seems to lean heavily towards Carmilla, by Sheridan Le Fanu. This is mentioned pointedly in the film - they're studying it in English class.

The main thing I took from the film was how beautiful it is to look at. Certainly, teenagers didn't look like that when I was one. All the girls in this film resemble nothing so much as porcelain dolls. Perfect hair, perfect skin, perfect figures, miniskirts. They laugh beautifully, they suffer beautifully. They are, in fact, perfect little ladies. Interesting how, although they're all supposed to be big into hockey, they never actually get to play sports. I suppose that working up a sweat is not allowed. Anyhoo, quite watchable.

So, another film tomorrow, and another that I can walk to. The Great Gatsby. Then Passion Play on Friday, and The Play That Goes Wrong on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment