Thursday 2 May 2013

Glory Dazed

Glory Dazed at the Soho Theatre


Was a bit lukewarm about deciding on this - going through the motions, dutifully ticking off another on the list.

Took myself once more into the chaos that is the Piccadilly Line, followed by the chaos of Piccadilly Circus. Haven't been there in a while, used to it but oh! the squash on the Tube and the crush of people on the street. Anyway, all successfully negotiated and made it to the theatre.

With nearly ten minutes to spare. Bought my ticket on the spot - this isn't booking heavily. But I was early enough to be surprised that the lady behind the desk said that it was about to start, and radioed upstairs to warn them that another punter was coming. Maybe her watch was fast.. anyhoo, ticket purchased, I started the long trek up the stairs again. They have theatres on two levels, and I'm almost always in the upper one. Well, good exercise. I guess.

It was over half full, but there were plenty of empty seats. And shortly after it started, I began to wonder why. Because you will not see a better acted play. Anywhere. It's only just about an hour long, but so much intensity is packed into this hour. Story: a pub, after hours, they're locking up, and someone comes banging at the door. Turns out to be Ray, an army veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan. A larger than life character, with anger-management issues and ptsd and a drink problem, and a whole list of other problems. Played with intensity and charm. Amazing performance, star of the show, that man. Worth seeing, only showing till the 11th. Has the advantage of finishing by 8.30, so handy for those with a distance to travel.

So, why the empty seats for a show this good? Could it be because it's shorter than average and people don't feel they're getting their money's worth? Pshaw! Please don't say it's because it's set in Doncaster.. Anyway, I am so glad I went. This is one of those shows that reminds me why I go to all these shows. Even the ones I'm not particularly interested in to start with. Because, just sometimes, you find a gem like this..

On a side-note, noticed a couple of people this evening giving food to beggars, rather than money. A sandwich, a banana. Excellent idea.

Bristol tomorrow, looking forward to getting out of town. "London Wall" on Tuesday. After that? Watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment