Saturday 4 May 2013

Bristol: Day 2

Evening all!

So, had a good breakfast, for which, as you may recall, I had a voucher. Buffet - I had your basic fry, except for the sausages, which I found stodgy. Which I generally do with English sausages. So skipped them. Interesting twist was that you could make your own waffles. :-) They provide the batter, in jugs, and the waffle iron, plugged in, and instructions. I didn't go for it today - maybe if I have breakfast there again.

Trudged into town, remarking that my right knee felt a bit peculiar after yesterday's antics. So decided to start the day on the sightseeing bus. Excellent idea, except for the strong wind that became stronger yet on top of an open-topped bus. Especially on the hills, of which I discovered Bristol has a lot. Anyway, saw some beautiful views of the Avon, and a lot of beautiful Georgian buildings. I think I'm Georgian-ed out at this point.

Disembarked when the guide said this was the stop for Red Lodge - I had identified that as somewhere I wanted to visit. Unfortunately, the guide got it wrong - I should have stayed on till the next stop. Anyway, made it.

Very unassuming - there is a sign, but you have to open a quite ordinary-looking door to get in. Gorgeous, gorgeous Tudor/Georgian townhouse. Quite unique features, different to most things I've seen before. And the curator is from Co. Louth, in Ireland! Small world..

Getting pretty peckish at this point, it was past lunchtime and sadly many places were closed. Was at last very well fed indeed at the Hatchet Inn. If this is the standard of pub grub in Bristol, I am well impressed! Mind you, Bristol does have a culinary reputation.

Headed next to the cathedral, which was very impressive. From the outside. It seemed to be closed, and I thought I could hear music coming from inside - maybe they were closed for an event. I know there was a concert there later this evening. Then headed for the Georgian House - a restored Georgian house with authentic furnishings and so on, which proved impossible to find. Later discovered that it was closed by that time, contrary to what my guidebook had said. Still, they could have put up a sign..

Knowing that I had a hop-on, hop-off ticket that is good for two days, I thought I'd take the last sightseeing bus home. Could I find the bus stop though?! Finally thought I'd look for the other one, only to see the bus pass me. Too late. So back to the hotel I trudged, and glad to get here.

Had a dinner reservation for 8. Well, that was what I understood. Turned out the restaurant knew nothing about it. And it was packed. So they sat me in the bar, which was fine, and meant I got to choose from the bar menu if I wanted, with a dessert from the restaurant, if I wanted. Which I did. And all included in my room rate. Along with a whole bottle of wine.. which I consumed in the time it took them to get to taking my dessert order. Still, all is good. Including the food.

So, the last hotel problem that remains is that of the lifts, which don't seem to work at all at busy periods. Not this morning, and not going for dinner this evening. I had to take the stairs. And I'm on the fourth floor. That's ok, but I am a bit worried about checking out with a heavy bag. Well, I won't be in a hurry, I can just insist someone carry the bag down for me, if it comes to that. (I have a sneaking suspicion that the cleaning staff monopolise the lifts in the morning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment