Sunday 19 May 2013

Film: Paths of Glory

After a lazy day - during which, mind you, I got some things done that had been needing doing for a while - I took myself down to Riverside Studios in Hammersmith this evening. I've only ever been to plays here before, but they do have a (one-screen) cinema, which was showing Paths of Glory (today only). As it was a lovely evening - sunny, mild - and Google Maps assured me I could walk it in 25 minutes, I decided to give that a try.

At an easy stroll, I got there in about 30 minutes. Passed the Hammersmith Apollo on the way, where it seems Lana del Rey was playing. The doors were open by that time, and I briefly considered buying a ticket from the touts I was passing, but although I like her singles, I have heard bad things about her live performances. So on I went.

The cinema at Riverside turns out to be on the second floor, reached through a nondescript pair of double doors. Just keep climbing the stairs to the top, where, considerately, they have placed a sofa. I was the first there - the doors opened shortly after I arrived. Open seating, and a rather vivid carpet. Actually, what struck me was that the seats don't come up to neck level, so you can't lean your head back. Jeez, how long is it since I've been in a cinema where I had to hold my own head up?! and when you think about it, aren't we spoiled..

The film itself dates from 1957. Starring Kirk Douglas, it's one of Stanley Kubrick's early ones. Set in 1916, on the French front line, this is as powerful a depiction of warfare as I've seen. And with precious little gore, as such - not as noticeable anyway in b/w. The first part of the film depicts the general ordering Kirk Douglas' character, Col. Dax, to lead his men in a suicidal attack mission on a German position. When the attack, predictably, fails, the general seeks revenge by court-martialling the men for cowardice. Ultimately an anti-war film, the tension of the battle scenes is compelling, and the aftermath would infuriate anyone's sense of justice. This is a film that has aged really well, and is one of the finest films I've ever seen.

"Mess" tomorrow at the Battersea Arts Centre. A play about anorexia, written by, and starring, someone who has suffered from it. Supposed to be very enjoyable. :-) Well, we'll soon see..

No comments:

Post a Comment