Sunday 25 July 2021

Series: The Purge (Season 1, Episode 10)

I still have more of The Purge to see on Amazon.. and when there was a gap in programming, that's just what I did. This one turned out, finally, to be the last episode of the season! In which things come to an end, pretty much. Some things are resolved satisfactorily, some less so - but I have to say, what a season! Twists and turns, terrific writing, suspense.. Roll on Season 2, also available..

Tonight, there is something interesting on tv - would you believe, I've never seen Mary, Queen of Scots! The title role is taken by Saoirse RonanElizabeth I is played by Margot Robbie. It's slated for its historical inaccuracies - it seems they claim that Mary was trying to depose Elizabeth, which I've never heard, although enough plots were raised in her name (Mary was Elizabeth's closest relative and heir, a Catholic, and the focus of many Catholic plots against the Protestant Elizabeth).

Not to mention that, in real life, Mary probably didn't have the pronounced Scottish accent she adopts here; having taken the throne as a baby, she was raised in France from the age of 5, for her own safety - Scottish nobles were notorious through history for killing royals so they could take the throne themselves - and stayed there until she was 18 (France would have been a natural choice, as her mother was French). So I'm guessing she had a touch of French about her, although I guess that would have made the story a tad more complicated. Finally, she definitely never met Elizabeth, despite begging her for years for an audience. A review I've just read describes their meeting as a spellbinding encounter, though. Ah hell, I couldn't miss it, now could I?!

No comments:

Post a Comment