Friday 9 July 2021

Film: Evil Eye

Wow, tv was terrible tonight. Well, it was all films, and I'd either seen them, or didn't want to. So when I finally escaped up to bed, it was straight to Amazon Prime, to trawl through in search of a horror film again. Working off my list, the first one I came across that was actually available was Evil Eye, an Indian film (in English) about a woman, a big believer in horoscopes, who comes to fear that her daughter's oh-so-perfect new boyfriend is actually the reincarnation of the man with whom she was in an abusive relationship before her daughter's birth, and who nearly killed her.

The film list promised me twists and turns, and one of the scariest movies available. Wow - who paid them to say that?! There are a couple of scary scenes near the end, but by no stretch of the imagination is this a scary film. Having said that, it's interesting, the characters are appealing, and I stuck with it to the end. It's also got an empowering message about women standing up for themselves. Watch it as a cautionary tale about control freaks - but don't go into it expecting a horror film..

Well, tomorrow, Cultureseekers are back with another quiz - this time, it's Driving in the UK! I mightn't know everything, but I have driven in the UK a few times, so I'll have a go.

And you know what? Today marks two weeks since my second vaccine dose, which means I'm as safe as can be to get out and about. So - I am! With Irish theatres still closed, I checked the cinema listings in Limerick (there's one closer to me, in Ennis, but there's no parking near it, so Limerick is handier). Unfortunately, my evenings are still tied up watching tv with my mother - else there are a few horror films I could have gone for. Instead, I've booked for Supernova at the Omniplex - I'll just be in nice time to get there after the quiz. Colin Firth accompanies his partner, Stanley Tucci, who's been diagnosed with dementia, on a road trip to relive old memories, while Stanley still can. D' you know, when I booked it, I was the first to book - and nobody else has booked yet. :-) So I think the fact that they blocked five seats around me is neither here nor there..

This is the first thing I'll have been to, in person, since 18 March last year. Which was also a film.

I might take advantage of its proximity to a KFC, while I'm there. Lordy, the last time I was at a KFC was the 13 January last year.. Granted, it'll have to be a takeaway, but for KFC that's fine.

As I say, that was the only film I could make and that I was interested in - I'm steering clear of the summer blockbusters, from lack of interest. But then, it occurred to me that I could check what was on in Ennis, for Sunday - and lo, The Father is on there, also in the afternoon. This is one that did really well in the Oscars: Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor for Anthony Hopkins, who plays the title role of a man developing dementia, and a nomination for Best Supporting Actress for Olivia Coleman, who plays his daughter. Also nominated for best picture, best film editing, and best production design. Sounds worth seeing - again, I'm the only person to have booked, and this time they've blocked out six seats around me! I'll say something for social distancing - it'll make it a lot less annoying to be in the cinema when others in the audience are eating popcorn!

Hmm.. might check out Supermac's in Ennis, on Sunday. Now, that's somewhere I really haven't been in ages - in fact, I don't think I've been since I moved to London! (It's not in the UK.) Jeez, but I used to love their cheeseburgers..

No comments:

Post a Comment