Saturday 17 July 2021

Film: Capote

One of tonight's tv films was Capote, based on the true story of Truman Capote, and starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, who got an Oscar for it. Catherine Keener appears as fellow author Harper Lee, who was a good friend. And as it happens, I'd never seen it - and with precious little else on, I determined to watch it.

It was tricky though - my mother insists on watching the news, which was late tonight (making way for yet another Harry Potter film), so that cut into it. And then the cat needed playing with. And my mother had this urgent desire to boil the kettle - a lot of the film is soft-spoken, so that doesn't really help. But I managed to catch most of it.

The film concentrates on his writing of In Cold Blood, based on a multiple murder - we see how he interviews one of the killers, on death row. Seymour Hoffman basically won the Oscar for an apparently perfect portrayal of the writer, both in voice and mannerisms, and doubtless motivation. It's certainly flawless, from what I can tell. However, it doesn't help to make the film more enjoyable. I found it slow, honestly - but then, I'd have done better if I hadn't had so many distractions, and been in the company of someone who had zero interest in it, except to keep asking how much longer was left in it.. Still, unless you have a particular interest in the subject matter, I can't really recommend it.

Well, I had a look at cinema listings for the weekend - and wouldn't you know it, the Arc cinema in Ennis has a matinee - of The Forever Purge! (Only showing in the evening in Limerick.)  Will probably head to that tomorrow - free parking on Sundays, dontcha know. Nobody's booked yet, so I might rock up on the day and buy a ticket, given that they have a booking fee.. I'll keep an eye on it. And I'm thinking a Chinese takeaway might be nice - I always liked Jade Cottage, but I'm not sure whether they offer outside dining. It should be a gorgeous day.. we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment