Wednesday 14 July 2021

Series: The Purge (Season 1, Episode 1)

Well, I had a look at cinema listings for the weekend - and wouldn't you know it, the Arc cinema in Ennis has a matinee - of The Forever Purge! (Only showing in the evening in Limerick.)  Will probably head to that on Sunday - free parking that day, dontcha know. Well, I mentioned as much to my boss today - and wouldn't you know it, she reminded me that there's a series on Amazon Prime called The Purge! So, in a quiet moment, I checked it out..

Aw, I love it. An online review said it's not as good as the second series (which, I'm glad to say, is also available), but I was impressed with the first episode, most of which is spent in the suspense prior to "commencement" - the beginning of the annual Purge night, during which all crime is legal from 7pm to 7am. All weapons up to "Class 4" are allowed (in real life, at least, this includes grenades and rocket launchers). 

So basically, the wealthier hole up in safety, while those without the wherewithal are forced to buy as much weaponry as they can afford (and there's a run on it), and defend themselves and their family and property as best they can. Hospitals and high-ranking government officials are exempt. In this episode, we follow three stories. One is of a businesswoman, working that night with her colleagues on an important deal, in a secure building - they've all signed agreements not to engage in purging. But she's up to something. Another centres on a young, upwardly mobile couple, invited to a NFFA (New Founding Fathers of America) party - they're politically very important, holding power, and having instigated the purge - and the husband is hoping to sign a major deal at the party. The NFFA hold one every Purge Night, which lasts for the duration. Finally, a young man with a bulletproof vest and weapons is unwisely driving around the seedier parts of town, looking for someone.

I love it. So glad to have found another good series! And I love the suspense, as everyone rushes to get to safety before zero hour, and everyone you pass is carrying weapons, or boarding up their property.. Dying to get to the next episode, to see how the stories started in the first episode pan out.

So - Cultureseekers' quiz on Saturday is Connections in UK Culture / History! Given a series of pictures, say what the connection is, or what the next in the series should be. Not sure I'll do well, but I'll have a go.

And as I say, probably The Forever Purge on Sunday. Nobody's booked yet, so I might rock up on the day and buy a ticket, given that they have a booking fee.. I'll keep an eye on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment