Saturday 24 September 2022

Restaurant: Imad's Syrian Kitchen

Tonight, I was supposed to meet Ivan, as well as two other ex-colleagues, at Imad's Syrian Kitchen. Which, of course, I know about from a previous CL event! Of course, it didn't work out that way - one of them has the flu and didn't want to spread it, and Ivan had to take his dog to the vet. So, me and one other - well, so much was good!

Earlier in the day, I got what I assume was an automatic text from the restaurant, confirming that I was still coming - "1" for "yes", "9" for "no"! "1", sez I, and got what I assume was an autogenerated response, reminding me of my time! My companion messaged me later in the afternoon to say his train was cancelled, he might be a little late - typical, you just can't trust trains south of London. In the event, he arrived exactly on time!


Me, I arrived a little early - mooched around outside for a moment, starting a message to my companion, but then the waiter grabbed me and said my table was ready, if I wanted. So I sat, and got tap water. And my companion arrived in due course.

The menus have starters on one side of the page, mains on the other - I had falafel and shish tawook again, he had lamb koftas. I ordered wine - a glass, this time - he had beer. When I was asked which white wine I wanted, I was perplexed - surely only one was listed by the glass! Well anyway, I had the same as before - a white rioja. But Lordy, when it came, I was glad I hadn't ordered it before my companion arrived - it was the tiniest glass of wine I'd ever seen! I swear, it wasn't even 125ml - I could have drunk it in one gulp. Interestingly, when I asked (twice, again) for a second glass, this was much larger. Beware - you're probably better off getting a bottle, here; it's more reliable. They don't specify on the menu how much is in a glass.

My food was as delicious as before - seriously, I'd forgotten how good the potatoes are. And we both polished off our plates, amid good conversation. Booking essential here - it was packed tonight, as you'd expect. We were too stuffed for dessert - but yes, I'd recommend it. Again. Despite the débacle over the wine. Can be tricky to get anyone's attention, though - it was great fun trying to get the bill.


Afterwards, to
The Blue Posts, where we stood outside for a bit, with our drinks, until a table was vacated, and then sat there - later sharing it with a couple of Germans. Again, conversation flowed merrily - briefly interrupted by the local, passing Hare Krishnas!

Certainly one of the jollier religions. Anyway, was great to catch up with my old friend - roll on the next time! Although next month is rapidly filling up - watch this space! ;-) So it'll have to be the month after.

Tomorrow, booked with Discover London - History Walks and Events for the London Sheep Drive & Livery Fair. Have to hand it to her, she always comes up with interesting things..

On Monday, as usual, I'm on my own.. heading to Divas, at the QT bar. Which, of course, focuses on the hits of - the divas!

And on Tuesday, back with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! (Considering I probably won't be in a job at that point.) Gee, seems ages since I saw them.. Anyway, this walk is around Sophisticated (& Sometimes Seedy) St. James'..

No comments:

Post a Comment