Sunday 18 September 2022

Restaurant: The Camden Kitchen (Stansted), Film: Bodies Bodies Bodies, & Restaurant: Sheridan's (Shannon Airport)


I'm just back from Ireland for the weekend. Mind you, I had a helluva journey - a French air traffic controllers' strike closed French airspace, and led to a two-hour delay for us - charming. Seems I was lucky to get off the ground at all. Our plane, it seemed, was supposed to come to us via that route. Well, I was hungry, and this gave me time to eat.

The Camden Kitchen was first along on my route through the airport - I asked the guy at the entrance, who remarked that it was getting late (it was now about 8pm, when my flight was originally supposed to take off). Seems that's when they close. Well, he waved vaguely in the direction of some single tables, so I moseyed on over. Handily, they have a facility to order from the table. Not all the menu was available - I ended up ordering a beefburger with bacon and cheese, and a large glass of pinot grigio.

The food was with me in five minutes - took another five for the drink to get to me! So, I was lucky to get fed, and felt much better for it - but I have to say, if you find yourself here, don't have anything with cheese! It really does taste of plastic. The chips came unsalted, and neither was salt available on the tables - otherwise it was quite decent.

After that, I wandered off, figuring I'd find somewhere else to have another drink. Hah! Good luck. They aren't the only ones that close at 8. Yeah, I guess the airport is a lot less busy by that time - but it is frustrating. Wetherspoon's was still open, but there was no seating free downstairs, and I was informed that the upstairs seating area was now closed. And now The Camden Kitchen had officially closed. Other than that, the only drinking option was a prosecco bar - and I don't like prosecco. Oh, there's a bar at the gate all right - but I had a bad experience at Stansted before, assuming the gate for a delayed flight, before it was officially announced. And by the time the gate was announced, it was too late to have a drink, really. So I did without. Ah, eating and drinking at Stansted - never pleasant. Well, nothing about Stansted is. And when I did get back - my taxi driver's taxi was out of commission! So he drove my car to the airport, and I got to drive him home for a change - hey, I didn't have to pay!

Film-wise, in my bit of Ireland, they are showing Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song - a biopic, which I'd love to see. But it's only in the evening, which I can't manage when I'm there! (sob) Which left the (joint) highest rated as Bodies Bodies Bodies! Set at a teen country house party, in the middle of nowhere. Opinion is divided as to whether this is a horror or a murder mystery, but everyone agrees it's a comedy - and it sounded right up my street. FYI the other at the top of the ratings was See How They Run, which is a murder mystery comedy, with Saoirse Ronan as the overenthusiastic young copper, striving to assist the detective, Sam Rockwell, in 1950s London. Also stars Adrien Brody as the victim, and Harris Dickinson and David Oyelowo among the suspects. Gee, as it said in the paper, this type of film is regaining popularity! Both showing in Ennis.

So, I took myself off to Ennis - timing was tight, as ever, plus there was a lot of slow-moving traffic, so I paid to park a little closer than where the free parking is. Got myself there slightly after start time - handily, they've brought in a "matinée madness" rate! Anyway, by the time I got in, the film had already started, although I don't think I missed much - we were looking at an arial view of the house, and two of the guests were just driving up to it. For my part, I was in complete darkness, and keen not to sit on someone accidentally, like I nearly did before!

Right then. Firstly, it isn't a horror film - although kudos to whoever wrote a good review I read, which flagged that it uses jump scares frequently, but uses them exactly as they should be used. True - the title of the film is based on a game they play, which involves sneaking around in the dark and someone, who has randomly chosen a card that identifies them as the murderer, taps someone else on the back, who is then "dead". So, when someone finds a "dead" body, they shout "bodies bodies bodies", the lights are turned back on, and everyone has to try and guess whodunnit.

Plenty of creeping around in the dark then, and plenty of opportunities for scary stuff. Another horror-related note - people have spoken in the past about the difficulty of staging a horror story in the modern era, when everyone has mobiles and can call for help, use them as torches, use them to turn security systems on or off, and so on. Here, the premise is that they've gathered for a "hurricane party" - so, there's a storm, and no reception! Plus, they're in the middle of nowhere, and for a reason I missed along the line, most of them didn't drive there. So, there's only one car - easy enough to sabotage.

Right, a murder mystery. Well, it is that. Although calling it a "parody" is using the wrong word - this is very, very dark. And I don't just mean when the lights go out. I'd also have trouble calling it a comedy - well, for most of it. It's not until the story starts to resolve itself, and you realise exactly what's been going on all this time, that you can truly see how ridiculous the whole thing is! So, ultimately, yes, it's a comedy - after the fact.

What it really is, though, is an absolutely SCATHING indictment of youth culture. Oh Lordy. From the fact that everyone has mobiles, to the use of popular vocabulary - "You're so toxic!" "Stop gaslighting me." "That was you enabling me." They're all massively self-obsessed - all their feelings must be publicly aired, and they are so wary of any differences; the two people viewed with most suspicion at this gathering are the foreign girl, who comes as another's girlfriend (they're the ones who drive), and the older guy, who's there because his girlfriend is. And although everyone admires his coolness, there are all kinds of rumours about him.. but mind you, accusations are thrown around wildly, here, about everyone.

Yeah, for all the talk of mindfulness, and being kind to each other, there's a lot of bitchiness here. Now, if you're part of this set, you'll be absolutely horrified as things go from bad to worse for them - but if you find it all as irritating as I do, oh wow, you'll have fun! Just hang in there - it's all worth it for the big reveal at the end. And when someone appears at the very end, surveys the scene of devastation, and asks what happened - well, that response from one of the party-goers is just pure gold, closing the film. Oh, this is very clever.. Recommended. Unfortunately, I was just too tired to blog, both of these nights!

Back to London today. And more drama. My taxi driver was having a family dinner, and couldn't take me to the airport - so I had to drive, and organise my own parking. Well, when I checked the website, I saw they had a new option, from the last time I looked (which, to be fair, was years ago). Park4Less was far and away the cheapest option presented to me - so I took it. Only bookable online - I specified my arrival and departure date and time (to within the nearest half hour), and off I went. Now, it's official airport parking, on the site - but I'd never noticed it before. Well, it turns out to be extremely well-signposted! I was a little early, but it wasn't a problem - the camera at the barrier registers the number plate, and if it matches a booking, the barrier lifts. There's a scanner for the QR code corresponding to the booking, which is e-mailed to you, in what they describe as "the unlikely event that the barrier does not lift", but it worked a charm for me. I got a space near the entrance, handily - it looked quite full. And the terminal, as they say, is less than 10 minutes' walk. Ideal - still more expensive than my taxi, but an excellent alternative if the man is busy.

I hate how you have to get to the departure lounge to find out the flight is delayed. Two hours, again - with an original departure time of 4.10, they were now estimating 6.20. Then 6.15. Just the flights to Stansted, of course - everything else was sailing out merrily. With American troops crowding the place, there were huge queues everywhere - putting me in mind of the famous queue to view the Queen's lying-in-state! (Speaking of which, with coverage on the tvs in the departure lounge, it was really nice to get back to it - I hadn't seen much about the funeral all weekend!) When they cleared off, though, food became feasible - and as I was going to be back too late to get anything much, I decided to eat at Sheridan's, which had a carvery, as always on a Sunday evening.

The smell of curry had been tempting me all evening, so I had that. And he was very obliging, offering to add more chicken, more sauce, more veg, more rice.. I had a little scout around to find a table, but managed it in the end, just outside the main seating area. Getting a drink was harder - I had to order alcohol separately, and just as I arrived, the sole barman disappeared! Anyway, he was a lovely chap when he did come back - he informed me that they only do one size of wine, but offered to give me a little extra, gratis. ;-) Had to serve me in an Irish coffee glass (this is where it was invented, you know!) - they'd run out of wine glasses. Anyway, the curry was fine, the sauce was lovely - chicken just a little on the chewy side. But it filled a spot. And when I found out we were delayed again (new ETD 6.45), I had another glass of wine.. nicely positioned to watch the funeral coverage, too, albeit without sound. Finally made it home, just before 11pm..

Tomorrow, there was a suggestion of seeing Ivan - he fancies a blowout again. But with it being declared a bank holiday, he's instead taking himself off to see the family. Probably. Well, the best Meetup alternative seems to be a Zoom talk about The Black Historical Presence in Surrey. Courtesy of the Surrey History Meetup. So I signed up to that. There's so much closed, what with the funeral, anyway..

On Tuesday, I'm also going virtual - this is a new group, called London History & Culture, and the talk is on Jack the Ripper and Victorian Times, courtesy of Heygo, who seem to do a lot of these. You have to register separately with Heygo for the talk, but hey, it's free! Like tomorrow's. Jeez though, this is feeling like lockdown again..

And on Wednesday, back with Civilised London (not Up in the Cheap Seats, mea culpa!) for Eureka Day, with Helen Hunt, at the Old Vic. Oh thank goodness, an in-person Meetup at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment