Thursday 22 September 2022

Play: Who Killed My Father

Tonight - well, blast, I wanted to use my Theatre Token again, and still haven't gotten around to calling the box office during opening hours! So yesterday, I bit the bullet and booked without benefit of token - for Who Killed My Father at the Young Vic, with Up in the Cheap Seats.

Looking around the area for somewhere to eat, I came across a steakhouse, just around the corner, called Bar + Block. Thought I'd better book it, to be safe. I got there a little early - and it was completely empty! I joked with the maitre d' that I hardly needed to book - he countered that I definitely did, because they were only taking bookings! I later found out why, when he was turning away another couple - seems they were short-staffed today.

Service was good, I have to say - she seemed a little unsure of herself, but was pretty on the ball. Handily, she waited while I consulted the wine list - and later, the dessert menu - so that I didn't have to wait, having chosen, until she returned! They have a decent choice of wines, and I chose one - the food menu took longer.

It's all along the same lines - their primary market is not vegetarians! Lots of things on the menu were crossed out, though - possibly because of the staff shortage. I was intrigued by "beefy" garlic bread for starter, so ordered that. For main, I could have a steak sampler - three 4oz samples of different steaks, with sauce and chunky chips. Or a classic steak, which also comes with sauce and chips - 8oz standard, but they do quote a price for 16oz, and encourage you to enquire if you want bigger! Over the page are burgers. I noticed chicken. Also lots of sides. I finally opted for a (standard 8oz) sirloin with pepper sauce (they have four or five different options). And onion rings, natch. With a large glass of sauvignon blanc.

Ah now, I think it's hard to go wrong here! The garlic bread came pre-sliced into neat fingers, stacked on a little plate - a bit salty, but very moreish, coated in beef dripping! The steak.. was the best I've had in years - couldn't have done it better myself. One of those you nearly don't need sauce with. Delicious onion rings. The chips were massive. The wine was lovely - I had a second glass. And with the swift service, I had time for dessert - so, with only four options available, I plumped for the chocolate tort - a chocolate mousse cake with a chocolate sponge base. OMG, perfect texture. Wow, would love to have an excuse to come back here.. and the prices are reasonable. Highly recommended. Just a pity the free WiFi wasn't working..


And so, a short trot over to the theatre, where the group was gathered on the pavement outside, and we chatted before going in. Now, curiously, I was listed as being "upstairs", although the seating plan seemed to indicate that I was in the lower level - how it works is, yes, I was in the main stalls section, but towards the rear. And a couple of rows in front of mine, the bench seating runs all the way across, not leavng an access aisle. So, everyone sitting behind that has to enter from upstairs and walk down, whereas everyone in front of it enters from downstairs and walks up. Well, that's one way to do it..

Found the seating a bit uncomfortable - or maybe it was the steak repeating on me. Anyway, they started about 10 minutes late - the whole performance takes place in a single room, with a single actor giving a monologue. He's Dutch, as it happens, and I was to be glad of the captions after a bit, as I couldn't quite make out everything he was saying.

The first half of the play has him discussing his difficult childhood, living with an alcoholic, abusive father, who objects to his son doing "girlish" things like dressing up, singing the girl's part of a pop song, obsessing on Titanic! It took me a while to figure out that he was switching between the father's and son's parts by the simple means of stuffing his hands under his jumper to represent his father's beer belly. You couldn't miss him playing the son though, when he's playing the lead singer of Aqua, performing Barbie Girl and bouncing along the stage..

All of a sudden, the son grows up and moves to Paris (this is actually set in France). And lives his own life. And suddenly, his view of his father changes to how he's a victim of the system. Our group afterwards thought this U-turn in the play had happened rather suddenly.. anyway, from then on, this is a really political play (left-wing, of course). Culminating in a list of accountable French politicians, reeled off..

I couldn't get into the early part, I'm afraid - he worked much better for me as the angry young man from the wrong side of the tracks, in the more political second half. But kudos to him for carrying a 90-minute show, on his own. Also kudos for him for actually fetching a bottle of water, presumably left there for his use, and giving it to the lady in the third row, with the persistent cough. Seriously, he reached out with it from the stage, saying "This is for you". Haven't seen that before.

Runs till Saturday, if you're interested. Contains strobe lighting, offensive language, and loud sections (sounds and music). I can't say it set me on fire, but it was interesting.

Tomorrow, back with Civilised London for a Cajun & Creole meal at Plaquemine Lock, with drinks at The Narrowboat. Looking forward to it.

On Saturday, meeting (all going well) Ivan, as well as two other ex-colleagues, at Imad's Syrian Kitchen. Which, of course, I know about from my last CL event! Now, I just hope this rendezvous happens, given the complete failure of last month's..

On Sunday, booked with Discover London - History Walks and Events for the London Sheep Drive & Livery Fair. Have to hand it to her, she always comes up with interesting things..

On Monday, as usual, I'm on my own.. heading to Divas, at the QT bar. Which, of course, focuses on the hits of - the divas!

And on Tuesday, back with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! (Considering I probably won't be in a job at that point.) Gee, seems ages since I saw them.. Anyway, this walk is around Sophisticated (& Sometimes Seedy) St. James'..

No comments:

Post a Comment