Wednesday 7 September 2022

Storytelling: Strange Girls - Beautiful Monsters

This evening, I was back to storytelling! Oh joy.. the Crick Crack Club was back, with Strange Girls, Beautiful Monsters, as told by Sarah Liisa Wilkinson, at Rich Mix. Good to see them on the road again!

Now, there ain't much to eat in Rich Mix - and the area is a nest of hip, vegan places. Ick. I ate in O' Neill's - which was pretty busy; I got the last table. But I got fed eventually, and frankly, had tons of time. (They now seem to be offering a 20% discount for ordering through the app - hmm..) I'd gotten hungry early, so had time to shop after, and head home for a bit before I headed off.

My fastest, easiest route would be the #205 - but it truly must be the most unpredictable bus in London. So, with varying opinions on when it would arrive, and my app disagreeing with the TFL information it was supposed to be feeding from - when the #214 arrived, given that it was also an option in my directions, I took it. Now, for this one, I'd have to change - and ended up disagreeing with Google Maps about the way over to Bishopsgate to catch one of a number of buses that would take me there, as I was a lot closer now. I swear, it told me to go down an alley, then changed its mind about where I was.. Anyway, when I finally emerged, I spotted a #8 - and I remember getting that to Rich Mix when I was working on its route. So I hopped on - and made Rich Mix with two minutes to spare.

Now, this evening's performance was in "The Mix" - which is what they're now calling the area across from the Studio on the fourth floor. I wasn't too worried about making it on time - they always start late. And sure enough, as I waited to get into the lift, Ben Haggarty, co-founder of the Crick Crack Club and tonight's MC, stepped out of it. No major rush, then - I had time to queue for a drink, upstairs, during which time he passed me, heading into the venue. Busy chap. Unfortunately, I wasn't in time for my regular, front row seat - but I got a decent one. To a soundtrack of I'm Your Man..


The only complaint I have is that it was too hot - there was no aircon at all, and it's a clammy night. Ben did a vox poll at the start, to see how many newbies we had - and there were many, indeed! Good to see. And she was excellent, as always - not a very loud voice, but we were attentive, and she didn't need to project. She told stories some of us would have known - she peered into the audience at one point to see people's expressions, and concluded that many of us knew the ending. But were, of course, sworn to secrecy..

She has a fantastic way of melding the extraordinary and - the woke. Telling magical tales in a down-to-earth way is her stock in trade, and it was hilarious - particularly to one guy in front, who guffawed at everything. More power to him, it's great to see people enjoying it. Yeah, if only I hadn't been sweating my way through it, so I was glad when it ended. Still, roll on the next!

Afterwards, we left to the strains of Wicked Game - wow, it's a long time since I heard that; and the queue wasn't for the lift, interestingly, but for the toilets! Me, I headed off.


And got the #205 home, in timely fashion. Much less complicated. And though it rained on me again, it wasn't much, this time.

Tomorrow, back with Watch Improv & Chat Comedy for Avocado Presents: An Improvised Play, in Baron's Court Theatre. Easily known the main group is back from their holidays - you now have to pay for this! and the discount code advertised on the event page has expired, grr..

No comments:

Post a Comment