Wednesday 5 December 2018

Play: True West

Tonight, LDN Talks @ Night and London Speaks Sessions (both Funzing) advertised a "Winterville" talk on The Science of Santa, where you get the scientific explanation of how he does it. Taking place at The Windmill. However, seems they meant last night, when of course I was busy. So instead I went to True West, with Kit Harington, at the Vaudeville. Cheapest tickets from the venue.

There was an evening demo at work, but I just cried off. Left a bit early - but the 243 bus was delayed, so I hopped around the corner and caught the 76. I was delighted to get one a bit earlier than I was supposed to need - the more particularly so when we hit really heavy traffic on Strand, so that the driver let me off before the stop at all!

 

Well, I scurried down as fast as I could, with the crowds - got my ticket and puffed up to the Upper Circle (as booked), or Grand Circle (as advertised when you get there). I've been here before, but not usually this far forward - decent view, if high up, but I must say, awful legroom. I have had worse, but hardly ever - I had to position my feet in the gaps between the seats in front of me if I wanted to point them forward, and my legs had to be at a 90 degree angle. I had to get up if I wanted to reach my bag, pushed under my tilt seat!



Kit Harington is onstage before the start, sat at a table, poring over his writings. He's a screenwriter, you see - a prim, bespectacled chap, looking after his mother's place while she's on holiday. Enter his wild, no-good, deadbeat brother, determined to distract him, in between robberies around the neighbourhood. Exuding menace, he paints an unappealing picture. Then he bursts in on a meeting that the educated, screenwriting brother has with a film producer - arranges a meeting with him for himself, and says he has a story to pitch him. Lordy if the producer doesn't go for it, dropping the other brother's story! This, you see, is a nostalgic story of the Old West, of a sort that the producer doesn't think gets made anymore..

So, enter the second half and the roles are completely reversed! The screenwriting brother has given up, deciding to have a go at his wilder brother's life - the wild brother, in contrast, with a fat advance in his sights, is irritated at the distraction as he tries to write a screenplay! As the play comes to a close, we see these contrasting characters first swap roles, then gradually come together - seems they weren't so different from each other after all, as the walls literally open to a wider perspective. Actually, the whole second half is a laugh-riot; it's hilarious to watch the serious brother cut loose, and the scene with the toasters is just perfect slapstick.

I loved it. Delighted to have that reaction too, as I wasn't as enthused about the last play of Sam Shepard's that I saw - Buried Child didn't quite grab me as much. Runs till the 23rd of February - recommended. Of course, you can't please all of the people all of the time, and the lady behind me remarked to her companion that "good actors don't make a good play"! Ah well. Coincidentally, I was reading my paper at the interval, and just came to the article about the play.. I finished it on the bus back. And it was interesting to get another point of view. 

Tomorrow, Hazel of Walks, Talks and Treasure HuntsLondon Guided Walks (and, indeed, Walking in London) has a Christmas Carol Tour. Now, the last two events I booked with her turned out to be no-shows.. the first might not have been her fault, as she was advertising someone else's event, but the second, she just missed the ball on and left three of us standing on a street corner. Whether this event happens is anyone's guess! Now, it's technically more expensive if you book on Funzing - but if you had my discount (Funzing_Fb20) ;-) it came down to the same price she charges on her own site, without the booking fee! So I did it that way. (Mind you, they finally seem to think that code has been used too much, and it no longer seems to work.) But then Henning, with the London European Club, advertised a Happy Xmaths evening at Imperial College, the same night! Festive fun for maths geeks. Plus it's free - you just have to register with Eventbrite. (I see London Social Detours is also doing it now - for a fee. Funny, I wouldn't have put her down as mathsy! Oh, also London Science and Geek Chic Socials.) Anyway, I thought it'd be great to get back with this group. And since I booked the walk with Funzing, I've cancelled and will get a full refund. And I feel no sadness at missing an evening with Hazel, after what's been happening. But gee, this evening is proving to be one of the more popular- now a colleague has booked it for his leaving do. So I'm now going to that instead. Nibbles arranged at The Enterprise.  

On Friday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) at the Royal Court, for The Cane. Got the very last ticket, phew! although it seems at least one person did manage it after me.

On Saturday, with them again at the Orange Tree Theatre for The Double Dealer.

On Sunday, the Crick Crack Club is back at the British Museum for I Know Not, a full afternoon of Sufi legend.

On Monday, I'm off to the Bridge Theatre for A Very, Very, Very Dark Matter, by Martin McDonagh. Starring Jim Broadbent, this is a dark take on Hans Christian Anderson! Our new starter saw it recently, and proclaimed it "weird". Well, weird is good. North London Friends are going as well - but they'll be sat down in the stalls. I hope I get to chat a bit with them - they're a lovely group, and I don't meet them enough.

On Tuesday, I was going with them to The Convert, at the Young Vic. Discounted top-price seats, it seems! And then, the Crick Crack Club sent around an advertising email - and damnit if they haven't arranged a meeting that night! The House of Nine Lives is at the British Library, and has Nell PhoenixTim Ralphs, and TUUP talking about pussycats. Irresistible. Just got word last night that my ticket for the play has been sold on, so I'll get a refund - good stuff.

Next Wednesday is our office Christmas party, but Let's Do This has advertised a Christmas dinner- which sounds a more attractive prospect. So I'm doing that instead. Places filled up quickly with regulars. The boss has asked me to drop by if we finish early, and it's not far away, so I'll try to do that.

On the 13th, I'm thrilled to be going to Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, at Sadler's Wells, with UITCS. He's a fantastic choreographer, but I've never before gotten around to seeing this all-male version. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. 

And on the 17th, the Crick Crack Club is performing Gilgamesh, at Soho Theatre. With Ben Haggerty in the spotlight, this will be a treat! Sold out, of course - you have to book these things early. Meeting Helen for a meal beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment