Wednesday 12 December 2018

Restaurant: Cinnamon Tree

Tonight was our office Christmas party, but Let's Do This advertised a Christmas dinner- which sounded a more attractive prospect. So I did that instead. Places filled up quickly with regulars. The boss asked me to drop by if we finished early, and it's not far away, so I decided to do that.

I walked to the Betsey Trotwood, where we were meeting before dinner - I'd have been there faster, if I hadn't paused to give directions to someone who had Google Maps on his phone, but obviously hadn't figured out how to use it. One of the group had found a table by the window, and it turned out to be just inside the door. Not hard to find then, and it's a lovely, cosy pub, with some quirky decor, where we spent a pleasant time before dinner, and the gents were kind enough to buy me drinks.




It was a short, cold walk to the Cinnamon Tree, where we had a booking, and where they had a table for us, right by the bar. The only problem with that, of course, was that, if I wanted to go to the loo, I had to have two people outside me get up! as I had no room on my side. Hey-ho.

Service was quick and friendly, although there was confusion at a couple of points - the wrong beer was brought, and there was an argument about naan, of all things. But all was settled amicably, the beer was replaced, the naan was brought, and we set to it. Honestly, I was in no way adventurous with what I had - it's a while since I had Indian food, and I went for my favourites: meat samosa, butter chicken, peshwari naan. They had two white wines by the glass - I had the non-house white, which was very nice indeed.

We started with poppadums - ooh my, I missed that mango chutney! And I have to say, the samosas were quite the tastiest I've ever had. The butter chicken and the peshwari naan were excellent - apart from the sauce, I cleared my plate, and I think everyone else did too. The food here is to be recommended, and the price is excellent. Careful on the way to the toilets though - those steps down are steep!

Another bitterly cold walk to The Three Kings.



(This was cross the road.) Oh, it was good to get inside out of the cold, where as we grabbed a drink, a table came free in the corner, and we sat and had one for the road, in the convivial company of one of the locals:


In a gathering of ex-members of the Man with the Hat's groups, I guess it was to be expected that he'd come up in conversation - particularly at this time of year, when the fashion is to look back. We all wondered how he's doing..

As we wended our separate ways back, I was in touch with the boss, who said yes, they were still there. Well, it took me about half an hour to get there, and when I did, they were all headed somewhere else. I accompanied them, and we walked and walked - I did get my exercise tonight! We finally fetched up at Barrio Shoreditch, which was so damn noisy that I didn't even stay for one drink. To me, pubs are for conversation - I have never seen the point in a pub so loud that you can't hear yourself think, let alone speak. I ducked out, even though someone else was paying.

Tomorrow, I'm thrilled to be going to Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, at Sadler's Wells, with Up in the Cheap Seats. He's a fantastic choreographer, but I've never before gotten around to seeing this all-male version. Sold out now for that day, I believe. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. 

And on Monday, the Crick Crack Club is performing Gilgamesh, at Soho Theatre. With Ben Haggerty in the spotlight, this will be a treat! Sold out, of course - you have to book these things early. Last of the year. He's doing it again on the 10th of February, at the British Museum. Meeting Helen for a meal beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment