Sunday 9 December 2018

Storytelling: I Know Not

Today, the Crick Crack Club was back at the British Museum for I Know Not, a full afternoon of Sufi legend. I certainly made sure to set off in good time - the British Museum is a nightmare, with its security queue: especially at weekends. Well, I could take either bus from the local stop - the 243 was the first to come, but although the 55 would have taken me closer, it wasn't due for so long that I decided to go with what I had.

Sadly, they've closed the rear entrance, which was very handy if you had a ticket for something - so, even though I went to the fast-track queue, it still took me 15 minutes to wind my slow, slow way to the museum entrance. Tip: if you're not carrying a bag of any kind, you can save yourself five minutes by skipping straight through the security tent. It was already time for the event by the time I was climbing the museum steps - I swear, am I ever destined to be on time for any of these? Inside, unusually, the steps down had no informatory sign about storytelling - now, there's only one set of steps going down, but it's just as well I knew in advance that it is held downstairs! It's a huge building - signposting has been helpful before, and should always be used.

Anyway, they just checked my name off the list, as usual, and I dashed in. Martin Shaw, on door duty as ever, said "Welcome". And I was just in time for Ben Haggerty's opening spiel.


I do actually love this room - it's almost worth the wait to get in. Dark and peaceful, with a constant low hum from the aircon, for storytelling they have artificial, flickering candles along the stairs. And with the comfy leather seats you can just sink into, you can drift away - it's a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

I haven't come cross this storyteller - Chirine El Ansary - before. I think she usually performs in French - and sure enough, her soft voice and French intonations lulled me, at least, into a sleepy state. In two halves, her performance consisted of back-to-back, quite short, stories - not interweaving, as I'm used to from this format. As the ladies behind me remarked at the interval, she could certainly hold the audience, soft-spoken as she is. After Ben Haggerty summoned the crowd back with the ram's horn, the second half was a bit livelier, a bit more comedic. Most enjoyable - my only criticism would be the way she moved from one story to the next so rapidly - it was often hard to absorb the message of the first story, while trying to listen to the second.


On the way back, the stop for the 55 was closer, but I was to be glad I walked on further, to one where I could catch both - there was no sign of a 55! Tomorrow, I'm off to the Bridge Theatre for A Very, Very, Very Dark Matter, by Martin McDonagh. Starring Jim Broadbent, this is a dark take on Hans Christian Anderson! Our new starter saw it recently, and proclaimed it "weird". Well, weird is good. North London Friends are going as well - but they'll be sat down in the stalls. I hope I get to chat a bit with them - they're a lovely group, and I don't meet them enough.

On Tuesday, I was going with them to The Convert, at the Young Vic. Discounted top-price seats, it seems! And then, the Crick Crack Club sent around an advertising email - and damnit if they haven't arranged a meeting that night! The House of Nine Lives is at the British Library, and has Nell PhoenixTim Ralphs, and TUUP talking about pussycats. Irresistible. Just got word the other night that my ticket for the play has been sold on, so I'll get a refund - good stuff.

Wednesday is our office Christmas party, but Let's Do This has advertised a Christmas dinner- which sounds a more attractive prospect. So I'm doing that instead. Places filled up quickly with regulars. The boss has asked me to drop by if we finish early, and it's not far away, so I'll try to do that.

On Thursday, I'm thrilled to be going to Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, at Sadler's Wells, with Up in the Cheap Seats. He's a fantastic choreographer, but I've never before gotten around to seeing this all-male version. Sold out now for that day, I believe. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. 

And on the 17th, the Crick Crack Club is performing Gilgamesh, at Soho Theatre. With Ben Haggerty in the spotlight, this will be a treat! Sold out, of course - you have to book these things early. I do believe he's doing it again in February, but I don't know where. Meeting Helen for a meal beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment