Saturday 8 December 2018

Play: The Double Dealer

Tonight, with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) again at the Orange Tree Theatre for The Double Dealer. Yet another trip to the far side of town! Well, it was an evening performance, so I could lie in. And lie in I did, still taking myself off in good time. The unpredicted rain had given way to gales at that stage, but I fought my way to the stop, and it was much better on the bus - although the wind did somewhat take us as we crossed the bridge. Waterloo Station itself was full of Santas - not all of them sober! With heavy traffic, I'd missed the express train - but hey, that would've got me there too early anyway, and I was happy with the stopping service, which delivered me just slightly after the time arranged for us to meet.


I see the sign still points to the left for Richmond Theatre - head to the right for the unsignposted Orange Tree, you'll see it before long. Horrendous queue for the box office, just as I arrived - but it dissipated quickly. And our organiser was there ahead of me - I got myself a glass of wine, another joined, and we chatted until it was time to go in. There was one more in the group, but she didn't have a chance to meet us beforehand - we met at the interval.


A pretty interactive show followed, preceded by audience members trotting about, introducing themselves to the audience and engaging them in conversation. Those props in the middle of the floor couldn't stay there - the shoes were donned by one of the characters, the banner erected with the help of audience members. I do believe the picture also shows the chaise longue, which someone must have wheeled out as I was watching the banner go up.

Yes, they were in period costume - what a lovely change! One of the actresses played two parts, and wore an over jacket and overskirt for one, removing the outer layer to play the other. So, we had high, stiff lace headdresses, pearl necklaces, bracelets and earrings, laced corsets, flouncy cuffs, long skirts. For the men, 17th century jackets (for that's when this was written), one tricorn hat, shoes with brightly coloured ribbons for laces - the ladies wore historical-type shoes, the gents didn't bother. Oh, and there was a lot of clothing made of what I would describe as curtain fabric - very ornate, very thick and heavy. As someone later remarked, the ladies' costumes were missing a lot - they'd hardly have had room, in that small space and with all that running about, for hoops! Eh, close enough.

I had a lovely, wide seat - good for leaving my coat on. I was to discover that it was also good for actors to sit on! Well, I hope he found my coat comfortable. I wouldn't begrudge him a sit-down - as I say, they were energetic to the point of hyperactivity. This is one of those mad, Restoration comedies, featuring lots of toffs, a young couple about to get hitched, a dastardly cad, and a lot of idiots of greater or lesser degree. As they explain at the start, the plot isn't really central to the enjoyment of this, and they're right - if you can keep up with the quips and the archaic language, you're doing just fine. Oh, and if you are sitting in the front row (it's in the round), mind where you put your feet - they enter and exit from all four corners, usually quite unpredictably. Also, if you're in the front row, expect mild interactivity - conversational, hand-holding. That kind of thing.

I thought it was great fun - but to be fair, it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, and there were a fair few empty seats after the interval. Still, if you like Restoration comedy, this should be right up your alley - runs till the 26th of next month, limited availability on some performances, and Tuesday is sold out. On the way back, I took the Tube, which Google Maps informed me would now take less than an hour. It didn't - but was much cheaper, at £2.80 for the whole journey, versus £4.50 for bus and train, outbound. I did have the fun experience of sharing a carriage, first with a family and friends out on a pre-Christmas excursion, then - after they disembarked - a whole gang of drunken young people. Everybody's celebrating Christmas with a vengeance.. and with all my weekends away lately, I'd forgotten what central London is like at the weekends!

Tomorrow, the Crick Crack Club is back at the British Museum for I Know Not, a full afternoon of Sufi legend.

On Monday, I'm off to the Bridge Theatre for A Very, Very, Very Dark Matter, by Martin McDonagh. Starring Jim Broadbent, this is a dark take on Hans Christian Anderson! Our new starter saw it recently, and proclaimed it "weird". Well, weird is good. North London Friends are going as well - but they'll be sat down in the stalls. I hope I get to chat a bit with them - they're a lovely group, and I don't meet them enough.

On Tuesday, I was going with them to The Convert, at the Young Vic. Discounted top-price seats, it seems! And then, the Crick Crack Club sent around an advertising email - and damnit if they haven't arranged a meeting that night! The House of Nine Lives is at the British Library, and has Nell PhoenixTim Ralphs, and TUUP talking about pussycats. Irresistible. Just got word the other night that my ticket for the play has been sold on, so I'll get a refund - good stuff.

Wednesday is our office Christmas party, but Let's Do This has advertised a Christmas dinner- which sounds a more attractive prospect. So I'm doing that instead. Places filled up quickly with regulars. The boss has asked me to drop by if we finish early, and it's not far away, so I'll try to do that.

On Thursday, I'm thrilled to be going to Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, at Sadler's Wells, with UITCS. He's a fantastic choreographer, but I've never before gotten around to seeing this all-male version. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. 

And on the 17th, the Crick Crack Club is performing Gilgamesh, at Soho Theatre. With Ben Haggerty in the spotlight, this will be a treat! Sold out, of course - you have to book these things early. Meeting Helen for a meal beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment