Tuesday 18 December 2018

Caffe Nero & The Hippodrome

Tonight, I provisionally arranged to meet that old friend I met a while ago - who said yes, probably ok, but things were hectic.. who was he telling?! Well, I was free most of the evening, so flexible.

8pm turned out to suit - which gave me the chance both to eat, and to do some more of that interminable work they have for me. We arranged to meet at the same place as before - I am rather fond of Caffe Nero's hot chocolate Milano. I was slightly late - but figured he's always running late anyway, and so it proved. So on the way, I stopped into the excellent Cards Galore and picked up a decent Christmas card for someone - there's a dismal lack of card shops near me.

And so to Caffe Nero, where I had far too much chocolate Milano over the next couple of hours (mostly due to his generosity), and we had a good old chat. Until they threw us out, 10ish.. and he suggested we find somewhere else. Well.. there was The Hippodrome straight ahead, which is open 24 hours - so why not? He'd never been there, but of course I have a few times, with Up in the Cheap Seats - after a show locally.

So, I was able to direct him to the upstairs bar, where we stayed for another couple of hours. We had seats, and a table - and to be fair, it wasn't too noisy. However, later I discovered that the lounge renovation is complete - and it's now quite an attractive nook, with plenty of snug corners, armchairs, and a fake fire. Quieter, too! Next time, perhaps.. By the time we left, the Tube had closed, leaving him with a bit of a conundrum about getting home. But you know, the buses run all night.. and are cheaper. Just maybe take a while, out to where he is..! Great to see him anyway - Christmas is great for catching up with folks. I also got the bus back - mine was an easier journey, even though I just missed one..

Tomorrow, off to my last circus (and last event) of the year - Crash is at the Winterville Festival on Clapham Common. Tickets from SeeTickets. Sold out now, it seems. Then I'm back to Ireland for Christmas on Thursday.

I fly back on the 2nd, and on the 3rd I'm back with Walking in London for the Southwark Tour - Chronicles: Shakespeare's London. It's Funzing, of course, and I think this was the last I used my Funzing_Fb20 code for, getting a 20% discount. They've now apparently decided it's been used too often, and I'm down to a 10% personal discount.

On the 4th, I'm back at Soho Theatre for a comedy show - Jen Brister, with Meaningless.

The next few days are all Funzing, and the weekend is entirely with Look up London - excellent! She's so friendly, and always finds the most interesting tidbits for us. The 5th, I'm doing Unlock the Secrets of Fleet Street.

On the 6th, I'm doing The Greenwich Walk: Heroes and Villains.

And on the 7th, I'm with London Speaks Sessions, for a talk on Interviews With a Serial Killer. Funzing now have an Unlimited Talks option, where you can get unlimited talks for a month for £11.99 - however, not seeing anything else I fancy coming up that month, I've left it for now. As it is, I got a spectacular loyalty discount for this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment