Tuesday 6 June 2017

Storytelling: The Frog Princess (Punked)

Last night, I was back to Soho Theatre with the Crick Crack Club, for something called The Frog Princess - PunkedBen Haggerty, the mc and co-founder of the club, told us the other night that there was going to be a full punk band - goodness, who would've thought that Sally Pomme Clayton had a hidden punk side! And the theatre was kind enough to both ring and email me, just to make sure I got the news that it had been moved to the basement. Goodee, fewer steps! And the Meetup group made sure we knew, too. Oh, and we have a new company CEO, who visited the London office yesterday: so, drinks beforehand, at Barrio Soho. Five minutes' walk from the theatre; I was going to be fine, especially as it was now at a later time.

Yawn - another of those earnest, corporate get-to-know-you meetings, questions actively sought. Well, they managed the questions, and it was with relief that we piled out of there at about 6, after about 90 minutes of corporate-speak. And so to Barrio Soho, a 10-minute walk through mild drizzle. I'd looked up the route on Google Maps - but considering that I was in the company of several folks who said, oh yes, we know the way, the old office was over here - well, I said I'd just follow them. Well, I did, until they got completely lost and had to fall back on my map..


Food at ground level, bar downstairs, which - when we arrived - we had pretty much to ourselves. The VIP CEO - who arrived a bit late - occupied the booth at the end, while most of us milled around the main space, taking advantage of the free beers and white wine that our office manager had arranged to have on several tables. I think we also had her to thank for the nibbles; this is a Mexican bar, and first to arrive were nachos, followed later by mini fajitas. The crowd started to thin out sometime after 8, which suited me just fine - someone in the Meetup group had wanted to know whether there were any plans to meet, and I'd told her I'd be there after 8:30.

In the event, I was there a bit before, got my ticket, and headed to the bar - another glass of wine, and crisps: I was hungry (don't like Mexican food, and hadn't had any in the last place). Tyrrell's, they were here - sweet chilli chicken flavour, and hot enough to make your tastebuds weep. I managed to get a table, and left a message on the Meetup page explaining where I was. No response, and no approaches from anyone, sadly.. this really isn't a sociable group. Anyway, finished my small meal just after the downstairs space opened, and made my way down - it was quite packed, with cabaret seating, and an usher showed me to a spare chair.







The stage seemed to have a cobbled-together cardboard background, on which sundry images were displayed. And although punk isn't my thing, they were all right.. the story itself, it seems, is of Russian origin, about three princely brothers who are tasked by their father, the king, with finding brides. Each fires an arrow, and finds his bride where it lands - the youngest's lands in a swamp, and he ends up with a frog. Who turns out, naturally, to be the best of the bunch. Then bad stuff happens and he ends up having to consult the notorious witch, Baba Yaga, and - I lost track at that point, as the storyteller got lost in the music and started bouncing up and down. Anyhoo. It's good to see storytelling mix it up, but I do prefer a slightly more traditional format - it says something that, with a punk band on stage, I found myself falling asleep. Hey, I'd stayed up too late the night before, as usual.. 

There was an interval, during which I visited the brightly coloured toilets. And despite the promise of a 70-minute runtime, it lasted nearly two hours, and it was after 11 by the time we got out of there! So, straight home to bed. Tonight, I'm with the London European Club (LEC), to see the Images Ballet Company at the Arts Depot. And won't that be a pleasant journey, with the lashing rain we have today (which at least seems to have cleared), and the fierce wind that, up on the eighth floor, I can hear even over the white noise coming through my headphones..

Tomorrow was looking like a film. But I wasn't that enthused about the offerings, and lo, during that meeting, I was saved.. I'm a member of a couple of cheap ticket sites, whose names I can't divulge over social media. But anyway, both sites offer £3 tickets to shows (apart from this one, which has started to charge VAT, so they're now £3.60). Still cheaper than official tickets. Anyway, they're now selling tickets to a horror-comedy live podcast broadcast called The Unseen Hour, at the Rosemary Branch Theatre, tomorrow night. O lovely, said I, and booked asap.

For Thursday, I was supposed to be going to - ahem - free comedy in Hammersmith. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, Random London, London Live Comedy, Hammersmith & Fulham Friends, and DiscoverLDN.UK. However - well, you know how un-keen I am on these. And they couldn't even seem to agree who was headlining. So I was only delighted when - also during that meeting - the LEC advertised pop-up opera for that night! Ah now, that was one of the Man with the Hat's summer staples. And this one, in St. Mary's Islington, is free.. Part of the Soul in the City Festival. Advertised by two separate LEC groups, it seems, only one of which has included the booking link!

Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. On Monday, I'm at comedy again - not free this time, it's on a £3.60 ticket - I'm going to see So You Think You're Funny, at the Slug and Lettuce on Chicheley Street. And this is an actual competition, which might up the quality a bit.

Next Tuesday, I've booked for free comedy ("Hecklers' Edition") with Random London. Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, London Live Comedy, Hammersmith & Fulham Friends, and DiscoverLDN.UK have also advertised it. But you know, there are a few interesting Funzing talks on that night. Courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks@ Night. Or I might go to a film. As usual, watch this space..

On the 14th, it was originally supposed to be free comedy again - Random London, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy were advertising a "Cooking Edition", for which I'd booked. But then I booked a Funzing talk, with those two above-mentioned Funzing groups - ExMI5 Agent Talks Russian Hacking. As usual, I got a discount - one of those 30% ones, so I'm guessing it was SCIENCEPOLITICS30. If I feel like it, I can of course cancel up to 48 hours in advance. Unlikely - the listings for that day aren't inspiring.

On the 15th, some more traditional storytelling with the Crick Crack Club. Nick Hennessy is telling the story of The Ruined House of Skin - an Irish one, which I've heard before, but he's one of the best on the circuit, and always worth going to. Now, this is on at the Arthouse in Crouch End again, and after the debacle the last time, with no confirmation email from them, I checked - and don't have one for this either! So, when I was up there the last time, I asked them to print out my receipt, which I've been holding onto carefully ever since.

On the 16th, London Dramatic Arts is seeing Gloria in Hampstead Theatre - and since they're getting us to buy our own tickets for once, so am I! Pulitzer-Prize-winning, apparently.

And on the 17th, I had my eye on Day Trips from London, who are headed on a Lulworth Cove Heritage Site, Corfe Castle Village + Warhead Quay Day Trip. But I was busy when the email came through to advertise it, and wouldn't you know it, by the time I got around to it, it had booked out! Always popular, it seems. Never mind - while I was being stood up at Soho Theatre last night, I was facing the screen advertising future events, and what should I see but that Andrew Maxwell is performing a run there, ending that day. Now, I saw him live once before, and he was fall-off-your-seat hilarious! So I've booked. So much for my Westminster Residents' Card though, which is supposed to give £1 off at this venue - there was no mention of it when I came to book! Bah humbug..

No comments:

Post a Comment