Friday 16 June 2017

Film: Maya Angelou - And Still I Rise

Last night, I booked some more storytelling with the Crick Crack ClubNick Hennessy was to tell the story of The Ruined House of Skin - an Irish one, which I've heard before, but he's one of the best on the circuit, and always worth going to. This was on at the Arthouse in Crouch End again, and after the debacle the last time, with no confirmation email from them, I checked - and didn't have one for this either! So, when I was up there the last time, I asked them to print out my receipt, which I'd been holding onto carefully ever since. It was now a bit crumpled, but still intact..

Well, as sometimes happens, my plans changed completely. I wouldn't willingly have changed this - but yesterday afternoon, the Arthouse emailed to say that Nick had been hospitalised and wouldn't be appearing, and that instead Ben Haggerty would be performing Atalanta. Now, he's very good, and this is his speciality - but I've seen this not once, but twice, and didn't think it was worth traipsing all the way up to Crouch End to see it again. So I rang to get the promised refund - on a very bad line, they first tried to get me to swing by in person, but when I said that wouldn't be convenient (!) they fetched the manager, who processed my refund over the phone. So much for holding onto the receipt, which finally went in the bin. And the Meetup group cancelled the event, I suppose because I'd told them I wasn't going, which meant that there was now no-one scheduled to go.. Heavens, Crick Crack now has nothing scheduled that I can make! Roll on the next booking - I suppose they might take a break over summer.

Plan B was a film - and what a good job I'd done the film list. Top of what I had that was showing yesterday was Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise, which I'd been thinking of seeing on Monday but hadn't booked. And yay, it was showing in Regent Street Cinema, quite close to home for me. So I booked that, since it seemed to be booking quite heavily. Took myself along just in time - I could walk, but popped to the loo just before I left, which left me a bit tight for time.

As usual, nobody checked my ticket, and I just wandered into the lobby bar, which was quite busy, and where service was quite slow. As the lady beside me remarked, she could die waiting. Now, by the time I eventually got in, a young lady was entertaining the crowd with a guitar, and a piece she'd apparently penned herself - this showing was, apparently, part of a "Phenomenal Women" festival (or something). And there'd apparently been another act on before her, while I was waiting at the bar - ah well. Seating was unassigned, but unfortunately, by this stage the place was pretty full, and I ended up dragging myself all the way up the long flight of stairs, trying not to spill my wine. Ended up in an aisle seat, somewhere in the rafters - had to lean to the side so as not to have a railing impede my view, but never mind.

The film, then, started a little late. The name Maya Angelou, though familiar to so many, didn't mean anything to me - but apparently she was what you might call a Big Name. I had seen Roots, in which she appeared - but she was also a nightclub dancer, calypso singer, poet, and celebrated author. A woman of unique spirit, I have to admit, she led a fascinating life, having affairs with B.B. King and James Baldwin, for goodness' sake, on whose work I Am Not Your Negro, which I saw recently, was based. And she wrote and performed a poem for Clinton's inauguration.

Fascinating to listen to her works, her speeches, and hear the details of her life, and it was a flattering documentary. But oh lordy, it was long!! And to my mind, a bit overly fawning at the end - no surprise that Oprah was one of the many celebrities interviewed in the course of the film. Anything she touches turns to schmaltz. I was glad to get up at the end - even having to navigate the long staircase down. And given that it was so long, I was home just in time to go to bed.

Helen's apparently finished her course, but bought a weekly train ticket - so she's taking the day in town today and we'll go for lunch. Tonight, London Dramatic Arts is seeing Gloria in Hampstead Theatre - and since they're getting us to buy our own tickets for once, so am I! Pulitzer-Prize-winning, apparently. The organiser messaged me on Wednesday to check I'd bought a ticket - she's used to buying them for us. Have to remember to take my laptop home for the weekend.

Tomorrow, I had my eye on Day Trips from London, who are headed on a Lulworth Cove Heritage Site, Corfe Castle Village + Warhead Quay Day Trip. But I was busy when the email came through to advertise it, and wouldn't you know it, by the time I got around to it, it had booked out! Always popular, it seems. Never mind - while I was at Soho Theatre the other night, I was facing the screen advertising future events, and what should I see but that Andrew Maxwell is performing a run there, ending that day. Now, I saw him live once before, and he was fall-off-your-seat hilarious! So I've booked. So much for my Westminster Residents' Card though, which is supposed to give £1 off at this venue - there was no mention of it when I came to book! Bah humbug.. Well, at least it means I can have a lie-in in the morning..

And on Sunday, I was thinking of a film. Hence why I did the film list. After I deleted all the stuff at the top of the list that isn't showing that day, I was left with The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson. Never heard of this person, but it turns out to be the story of a transgender gay activist, who died in mysterious circumstances. I couldn't even find a trailer, but the story sounds interesting enough. Showing at the Curzon Aldgate only, and practically sold out when I checked - so I booked.

For Monday, as I say, I'm thinking of a film again - and with the Maya Angelou film out of the way, I can go to something interesting. Watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment