Wednesday 7 June 2017

Images Ballet Company

So, last night I was back amongst the living - Henning of the London European Club (LEC) was going to the ballet. Lovely - I don't get to enough dance. He doesn't book tickets for us, so I booked my own. Mind you, I had trouble finding the blasted confirmation email again - I was looking for "Arts Depot", should have been looking for "artsdepot"..

Ah Lordy, up in North Finchley again. At least I was headed from the centre of town - this must be the furthest away of any venue I go to in London! Still, there was no way a bus was going to get me there in under an hour - so, Tube it was: Northern Line to Woodside Park. Flippin' Zone 4 - nearly the end of the line - and for practically the whole, long journey, no seats available. And it was raining when I got off. Still, rain has its compensations:



Having been here all of once before - just over a year ago, as it turns out - I did remember to tap out with my Oyster card before crossing the footbridge (there's nowhere to do it on the other side). A 15-minute walk to the Arts Depot, and buffeted by a ferociously strong wind. Years since I had to battle a wind this fierce - and freezing cold with it. Just as I finally approached the Arts Depot, a message came through from Henning, to say he'd forgotten his Meetup sign, but was sat in the cafe, wearing shorts (?!)

Inside, the table with tickets in envelopes was just for press and staff - the nice lady directed me back to the reception desk, which doubles as a very discreet box office. And when I had my ticket, I headed upstairs to the cafe. Got a wine and a slice of lemon drizzle cake. And that was so good, I got another slice. And oh, it was good to see these people again.

We had to head up another level to the theatre, where we all had seats in the front stalls - all the same price, these weren't at all expensive. Nice, modern theatre, good legroom. I'd bought a programme on the way in - they can come in handy for these contemporary pieces. And as the lights dimmed, it became apparent that the dancers had many friends in the audience, with all the whooping and hollering.. jeez, it was just like being back in the school gym, watching a production! Indeed, they're all students at London Studio Centre.

Contemporary the programme may have been, but the first piece was very classical, dancers moving in time to an adaptation of the prologue to Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty. And a more accomplished group of performers I have not seen. Beautiful.. but the rest of the programme really showcased the talents of the choreographers. The second piece was a witty homage to the choreographer's grandmother, a giant reproduction of her wedding photograph dominating the background, as it does her living room, one dancer representing the grandmother, the others alternating between being other geriatrics (donning dressing gowns and caps), and carers. Very clever.

A short interval followed, during which one of our group had to leave - she was travelling today, and needed to pack. Well, what a shame - because, as we remarked afterwards, she missed the best of it. The third piece was inspired by sculptures of the human body - in quite an abstract work, and accompanied by sounds generated by the human body (clapping, slapping, etc.), dancers in nude dresses moved angularly, giving the impression of the sculptures themselves.

It was the last piece that impressed us most, though - in Scenes of Death and Disaster, the girls lamented how all traditional choreographers - "blokes" - killed off all the poor female lead dancers! So, in a witty piece, we had Death stalking the stage in head-to-toe black, with a cheeky smirk; and we had the hapless victims, in red, sometimes playing their role - and sometimes deciding to break out for a "final fling". Sometimes a Highland Fling! Ah gosh, this was one of the most inventive pieces I've ever seen - the standing ovation at the end was well-deserved. And we agreed among ourselves that one dancer in particular stood out - Eleonora Falovo is one to watch. Keep up with their tour at www.tinyurl.com/lscmailinglist - this is a show to watch! More information also available on their tour page - they're touring England until next Wednesday.

Afterwards, a few of us went for drinks at The Tally Ho, just down the road. Which our organiser was kind enough to stand us to. And all the best to the lady who's job-hunting; I was in a very similar situation not that long ago, I know what it's like to hate your job, and how amazing it is to score another!

It was so hard to venture out in the cold again.. but I at least managed a direct bus home (much cheaper - £1.50 instead of £3.90). And at that time of night, with less traffic, and fewer passengers and stops, it was much quicker - especially as I didn't have as far to go. Still, it was after midnight when I got home - what a marathon!

Well, that was the start of three long journeys northwards in a row. Tonight was looking like a film. But I wasn't that enthused about the offerings, and lo, during Monday's corporate-speak meeting, I was saved.. I'm a member of a couple of cheap ticket sites, whose names I can't divulge over social media. But anyway, both sites offer £3 tickets to shows (apart from this one, which has started to charge VAT, so they're now £3.60). Still cheaper than official tickets. Anyway, they're now selling tickets to a horror-comedy live podcast broadcast called The Unseen Hour, at the Rosemary Branch Theatre, tonight. O lovely, said I, and booked asap. Much closer than last night, thank goodness!

For tomorrow, I was supposed to be going to - ahem - free comedy in Hammersmith. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and GreenwichRandom LondonLondon Live ComedyHammersmith & Fulham Friends, and DiscoverLDN.UK. However - well, you know how un-keen I am on these. And they couldn't even seem to agree who was headlining. So I was only delighted when - also during that meeting - the LEC advertised pop-up opera for that night! Ah now, that was one of the Man with the Hat's summer staples. And this one, in St. Mary's Islington, is free.. Part of the Soul in the City Festival. Advertised by two separate LEC groups, it seems, only one of which has included the booking link!

Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. On Monday, I'm at comedy again - not free this time, it's on a £3.60 ticket - I'm going to see So You Think You're Funny, at the Slug and Lettuce on Chicheley Street. And this is an actual competition, which might up the quality a bit.

On Tuesday, I've booked for free comedy ("Hecklers' Edition") with Random London. Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, London Live Comedy, Hammersmith & Fulham Friends, and DiscoverLDN.UK have also advertised it. But you know, there are a few interesting Funzing talks on that night. Courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks@ Night. Or I might go to a film. As usual, watch this space..

On the 14th, it was originally supposed to be free comedy again - Random London, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy were advertising a "Cooking Edition", for which I'd booked. But then I booked a Funzing talk, with those two above-mentioned Funzing groups - ExMI5 Agent Talks Russian Hacking. I got a discount of 30%. (That code's now expired, mind..)

On the 15th, some more traditional storytelling with the Crick Crack Club. Nick Hennessy is telling the story of The Ruined House of Skin - an Irish one, which I've heard before, but he's one of the best on the circuit, and always worth going to. Now, this is on at the Arthouse in Crouch End again, and after the debacle the last time, with no confirmation email from them, I checked - and don't have one for this either! So, when I was up there the last time, I asked them to print out my receipt, which I've been holding onto carefully ever since.

On the 16th, London Dramatic Arts is seeing Gloria in Hampstead Theatre - and since they're getting us to buy our own tickets for once, so am I! Pulitzer-Prize-winning, apparently.

And on the 17th, I had my eye on Day Trips from London, who are headed on a Lulworth Cove Heritage Site, Corfe Castle Village + Warhead Quay Day Trip. But I was busy when the email came through to advertise it, and wouldn't you know it, by the time I got around to it, it had booked out! Always popular, it seems. Never mind - while I was being stood up at Soho Theatre last night, I was facing the screen advertising future events, and what should I see but that Andrew Maxwell is performing a run there, ending that day. Now, I saw him live once before, and he was fall-off-your-seat hilarious! So I've booked. So much for my Westminster Residents' Card though, which is supposed to give £1 off at this venue - there was no mention of it when I came to book! Bah humbug..

No comments:

Post a Comment