Thursday 8 June 2017

Podcast: The Unseen Hour

Last night was looking like a film. But I wasn't that enthused about the offerings, and lo, during Monday's corporate-speak meeting, I was saved.. I'm a member of a couple of cheap ticket sites, whose names I can't divulge over social media. But anyway, both sites offer £3 tickets to shows (apart from this one, which has started to charge VAT, so they're now £3.60). Still cheaper than official tickets. Anyway, they were now selling tickets to a horror-comedy live podcast broadcast called The Unseen Hour, at the Rosemary Branch Theatre, last night. O lovely, said I, and booked asap. Much closer than the night before, thank goodness!

I could get a 38 bus straight there. Yeah.. I could if I left on time. But, see, I was doing the film list for Tuesday.. So, by the time I left, it was too late for the bus. Damn - it'd be Tube and bus now. And thus began one of the more stressful journeys I've had in all my time in London (although it actually worked out quite well). Galloping up Charing Cross Road, I decided to cross with another woman - not at a crossing, so I was keeping an eye on the traffic. So I nearly came a cropper when I tripped over a bump in the road. Passed a 38 on my way - nah, I'd never make it by bus alone, now - and they wouldn't start a recording late.

My Tube was supposed to leave at 7:30 - Lordy, I'd never make it! They never do factor the time to navigate tube stations into travel times, you know.. anyway, it turned out my Tube had been delayed until 7:32, and just whooshed to the platform as I arrived. Hallelujah, I even got a seat! Four stops to Bank - the easiest Tube station to get lost in, with four separate lines, nine entrances/exits, and seven streets to choose from when you get out. Mind you, my first problem was getting off the train - I finally understand the significance of the phrase "Mind the gap!" A yawning chasm had to be stepped over as I got off the back of the train - this was the worst I've ever seen.. and some gaps further up the train were worse.  Indeed, an article identifies these as the worst gaps on the network.. 375mm. Goodee.

Safely on the platform, I had to find the best way out. Up the escalator behind two women in stilettos - have there been many more impractical items of clothing? They teetered the whole way up - at least the damn heels didn't get stuck in the gratings! I checked my phone for the street I wanted - Princes Street. No signs for that, of course - but with not much time to catch the bus, I didn't have time to search properly. Saw a sign for Poultry (Exit 9) - checked the map: that'd do. And whom should I be stuck behind but those blasted women in stilettos again, who'd been joined by accompanying men - at least they could lean on them. I couldn't pass them, with the crowds.

Finally got past them on the stairs to the street. Looked around me - no sign of Princes Street, of course.. I made a quick estimate where it should be, and just handily made the crossing light. At the corner, passed the Underground exit I should have taken - no idea what number it is. And lo, there was my bus stop! The handy indicator told me there was one due shortly, and when it came, I could sit down and relax.

Well, not really - not with all the traffic delays. We stopped at every traffic light, and were frequently stopped for no apparent reason. Oh no.. and I was looking forward to this show. I finally realised I wasn't going to make it for 8 - maybe 5 past would be ok? The traffic eased as we got out of town and closer to my destination - when I got off, I dashed up the road, another woman running right in front of me. Was she going to the same place, I wondered? Nope, she turned into a house further up - maybe there was something unmissable on the telly. Anyway, I'd given up running by now - it isn't something I do very often - and at the top of the road, there was The Rosemary Branch, just across the way.

In the door, and no sign where to go. The only barman was busy, and I figured my best bet was to try the door with the "Theatre" sign overhead. Inside, there was a (very dark) stairway - as I started to climb, I met a woman coming down with a clipboard. "Oh, hi!" she exclaimed, moving back out of my way. "Would I possibly be on time?" I laughed. "Of course!" she reassured me. "They're just dealing with technical issues." Phew - I went where she pointed, saw the steps into the recording.. room, went in and took a seat - the seats were hard chairs, with cushions.

So, The Unseen Hour, which has been running for a little while, takes about half an hour to record. We sat through two episodes - seven and eight. Three regular actors, it seems, using the props you commonly associate with radio broadcasts - there was a hotel bell, a plastic bag and a crisp bag to rustle, two cardboard coffee cups attached by string (used to represent the voice on the other end of a phone). There was an old-fashioned phone, for phone noises. Things to rattle. And wooden blocks to emphasise the sound of steps.

It seems that each episode includes a bit of comedy, which they supply, a scary story, read by a guest actor, and a musical interlude, with guest performers. Scripts are prepared in advance, of course. And they're all very good - actors and musicians both. I didn't find the scripts terribly funny - or terribly scary. I wouldn't be rushing out to listen to the episodes. But it was good fun to watch. After trying to hold the banister on the way down - oddly wrapped in prickly stuff, ow - I missed the last step in the dark. Great! At least I wasn't hurt. And I got a bus straight home - just in time to miss one, still there was another along just after. And I was home in time to have dinner, first time this week! Didn't pass the office on the way though, where my laptop lives, so no blog till now.

For tonight, I was supposed to be going to - ahem - free comedy in Hammersmith. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and GreenwichRandom LondonLondon Live ComedyHammersmith & Fulham Friends, and DiscoverLDN.UK. However - well, you know how un-keen I am on these. And they couldn't even seem to agree who was headlining. So I was only delighted when - also during that meeting - the London European Club (LEC) advertised pop-up opera for tonight! Ah now, that was one of the Man with the Hat's summer staples. And this one, in St. Mary's Islington, is free (and includes a free glass of wine!) .. Part of the Soul in the City Festival. Advertised by two separate LEC groups, it seems, only one of which has included the booking link!

Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. On Monday, I'm at comedy again - not free this time, it's on a £3.60 ticket - I'm going to see So You Think You're Funny, at the Slug and Lettuce on Chicheley Street. And this is an actual competition, which might up the quality a bit.

On Tuesday, I'd booked for free comedy ("Hecklers' Edition") with Random London. Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, London Live Comedy, Hammersmith & Fulham Friends, and DiscoverLDN.UK have also advertised it. But you know, there are a few interesting Funzing talks on that night. Courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks@ Night. Or I might have gone to a film. But I wasn't enthused about next week's offerings either, and now the organiser of Kensington Classical Music has  invited me to a concert, somewhere in Mayfair - drinks before and a drinks and canapés reception after. In her typically disorganised fashion, she hasn't given me any more details - you know, address, booking link, that sort of thing.. well, if she does I'll go, and if she doesn't I won't. Simple as that. Anyway, I've cancelled the comedy.

On Wednesday, it was originally supposed to be free comedy again - Random London, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy were advertising a "Cooking Edition", for which I'd booked. But then I booked a Funzing talk, with those two above-mentioned Funzing groups - ExMI5 Agent Talks Russian Hacking. I got a discount of 30%. (That code's now expired, mind..) And Helen's coming too. We can eat at the venue.

Next Thursday, some more traditional storytelling with the Crick Crack ClubNick Hennessy is telling the story of The Ruined House of Skin - an Irish one, which I've heard before, but he's one of the best on the circuit, and always worth going to. Now, this is on at the Arthouse in Crouch End again, and after the debacle the last time, with no confirmation email from them, I checked - and don't have one for this either! So, when I was up there the last time, I asked them to print out my receipt, which I've been holding onto carefully ever since.

On the 16th, London Dramatic Arts is seeing Gloria in Hampstead Theatre - and since they're getting us to buy our own tickets for once, so am I! Pulitzer-Prize-winning, apparently.

And on the 17th, I had my eye on Day Trips from London, who are headed on a Lulworth Cove Heritage Site, Corfe Castle Village + Warhead Quay Day Trip. But I was busy when the email came through to advertise it, and wouldn't you know it, by the time I got around to it, it had booked out! Always popular, it seems. Never mind - while I was at Soho Theatre the other night, I was facing the screen advertising future events, and what should I see but that Andrew Maxwell is performing a run there, ending that day. Now, I saw him live once before, and he was fall-off-your-seat hilarious! So I've booked. So much for my Westminster Residents' Card though, which is supposed to give £1 off at this venue - there was no mention of it when I came to book! Bah humbug..

No comments:

Post a Comment