Friday 2 June 2017

New Beginnings

Yesterday, I eschewed the free comedy in Hammersmith for the Ghosts & Executions Tour, with London for a Tenner or Less (now defunct) - even though that guide wasn't great the last time, so I cancelled this previously, he's better than that free comedy! Funzing again, of course. Oh, and the code WELLBEING30 got me 30% off this. How it qualifies as "well-being" I don't know, but I'm not complaining! ..but last Sunday week, one of the Man with the Hat's old group got in touch, and a half-dozen of us arranged to get together in the Swan - we'd hate to lose touch. Not including said Man with the Hat, mind you - sadly, he's apparently cut off all contact - with Meetup, at least. Well, if and when he comes back, he'll still be welcome.

A late meeting meant I couldn't make the pub as early as intended - and I was regretting my decision to walk from the office, it was so hot! Beautiful though, people out sunning themselves. Massive queues at the National, as I passed - I guess, although they didn't implement it with me, that email they sent about bag checks, and leaving extra time, wasn't lying.. around the corner, a more peaceful scene with deckchairs: and all the way along Bankside, shorts, t-shirts and tourists were in evidence, along with much fussed-over doggies. Passing an enthusiastic bunch of what sounded like Aussies, headed to a show at the Globe, I made my way in to the Swan, and saw some familiar faces on the left.

And so we occupied a sofa at the edge - narrowly avoiding being moved, for reasons of space. At least, in this side section, there was something of a breeze from the open windows - had we had to move to the main room, it'd have been stifling! Most of us ordered food; can't say I recommend the shepherd's pie, which was quite bland. Service was considerate, but as slow as ever.

One of the group - not a Man with the Hat disciple, but culled from Cultureseekers - left after a bit, saying she was an outdoor girl and needed to be outside on an evening like this. And after the first round, and the food, we decamped as well. Mary's idea of sitting on the beach outside the Founder's Arms was rather scuppered by the fact that the tide was in - but lo, we scored a table on the outside deck anyway! and had a lovely evening, shooting the breeze and gazing at the sun going down over London:




Although he wasn't mentioned much, the Man with the Hat was on everybody's mind. And you heard it here first: on a balmy summer's evening, a new Meetup group was born! Yes, in a very good piece of news, a name was chosen last night; keep an eye out for upcoming events with More of London for Less..! I know I will.

This evening, I'm off down to Helen for the weekend - she told me about this Living History Festival, and I said yes please! We'll see what the weather's doing as to when we'll actually go.

Monday, I'm back to Soho Theatre with the Crick Crack Club, for something called The Frog Princess - PunkedBen Haggerty, the mc and co-founder of the club, told us the other night that there's going to be a full punk band - goodness, who would've thought that Sally Pomme Clayton had a hidden punk side! And the theatre was kind enough to both ring and email me, just to make sure I got the news that it's been moved to the basement. Goodee, fewer steps! Oh, and we have a new company CEO, who's visiting the London office on Monday: so, drinks beforehand, at Barrio Soho. Five minutes' walk from the theatre; I should be fine.

On Tuesday, I'm with the London European Club, to see the Images Ballet Company at the Arts Depot.

And Wednesday, at the moment, looks like a film. But I can tell you this: despite its high rating, and one of our group being an extra in it, I don't think it'll be Wonder Woman. Watch this space..!

No comments:

Post a Comment