Friday 9 June 2017

Opera: Il Matrimonio Secreto

For last night, I was supposed to be going to - ahem - free comedy in Hammersmith. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and GreenwichRandom LondonLondon Live ComedyHammersmith & Fulham Friends, and DiscoverLDN.UK. However - well, you know how un-keen I am on these. And they couldn't even seem to agree who was headlining. So I was only delighted when the London European Club (LEC) advertised pop-up opera for last night! Ah now, that was one of the Man with the Hat's summer staples. And this one, in St. Mary's Islington, was free (and included a free glass of wine!) .. Part of the Soul in the City Festival. The organiser, Patty, advertised it as two separate events, accidentally.

I may have been headed north three nights in a row, but it's been getting progressively easier. Last night, I did't even have to rush - just up the road, I could catch either the 19 or the 38, which go right past the church. And wouldn't you know it, the 38 followed me up the road. A relaxed journey got me to Islington - and at Angel, a diversion was announced. A quick look at my map revealed that I was only seven minutes' walk away, and I had time - so I decided that was the wiser option. There were, indeed, roadworks ahead - mind you, the diversion announcement was a bit premature, considering that the bus continued for at least one stop more.

I'd wondered whether I'd ever actually been inside St. Mary's before - and as it happens, no, I hadn't! I've just passed it so many times, used it as a landmark - on a recent guided walk, we stood in the porch to escape the rain while our guide told us about the area. And oh, it was lovely:



The place was filling up, but our group had the front four pews on the left. Mind you, that was as far as the social element went.. it turned out that Patty was also one of the organisers of the Soul in the City festival, which was obviously her priority, and why she'd invited us along. I don't know whether she wasn't interested in getting to know her attendees, or whether it just hadn't occurred to her that she should, but she showed no earthly interest in us for the whole evening, just chatting to the people in the front. The whole group, in fact, were engrossed in their own, private conversations - very unlike the LEC meeting on Tuesday, with Henning. And an unusual experience for me at Pop-Up Opera, where I'm so used to being looked after by the Man with the Hat, who always tried to make sure everyone felt included. He's a sad loss, indeed..

But the opera itself was, as ever, an absolute delight. It was obvious that few around me knew what to expect, and the irreverent staging and hilarious captions entertained them royally! as did the topical political references. Indeed, the woman in front of me, who'd never been to the opera at all before, had a whale of a time. It is a great introduction to opera - I just hope she doesn't expect all productions to be like this.. It is a unique experience, to have someone burst into an aria right beside your ear.

The interval saw them provide us with small glasses of wine - there was also beer, and soft drinks. The white wine was rather sweet, but quite nice - and I don't know how they managed to have some left over, but when someone came around and offered me a top-up, I gratefully accepted. Not even at the interval was there a chance to meet the group - they all vanished into the crowd at the drinks table, I couldn't see Patty, and I didn't know anyone else. When the show ended, I legged it. I had trouble finding my way to the other side of the church, with Google Maps directing me down all sorts of laneways that were either blocked off completely, or just scary. And as I finally found a road I could take, it started to pour rain - the bus arrived as I did, and she didn't see me, closing the door after the other guy got on; I was lucky I caught her attention before she drove off.

And on the way home, a passenger who'd just got on expressed to the driver the hope that Labour would win. Seeing the result today - well, they didn't, but they scored a kind of victory. This evening, I'm out of the madness and back to Ireland for the weekend. On Monday, I'm at comedy again - not free this time, it's on a £3.60 ticket - I'm going to see So You Think You're Funny, at the Slug and Lettuce on Chicheley Street. And this is an actual competition, which might up the quality a bit.

On Tuesday, I'd booked for free comedy ("Hecklers' Edition") with Random London. Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, London Live Comedy, Hammersmith & Fulham Friends, and DiscoverLDN.UK have also advertised it. But you know, there are a few interesting Funzing talks on that night. Courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks@ Night. Or I might have gone to a film. But I wasn't enthused about next week's offerings either, and now the organiser of Kensington Classical Music has  invited me to a concert, in Mayfair - drinks before and a drinks and canapés reception after. It's all very secret - invitation only, and I pay her on the night. Dress code - smart casual. Ooh-err.. what have I gotten myself into now?!

On Wednesday, it was originally supposed to be free comedy again - Random London, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy were advertising a "Cooking Edition", for which I'd booked. But then I booked a Funzing talk, with those two above-mentioned Funzing groups - ExMI5 Agent Talks Russian Hacking. I got a discount of 30%. (That code's now expired, mind.. but you can usually get 10% off with "Fun_Week10".) And Helen's coming too. We can eat at the venue.

On Thursday, some more traditional storytelling with the Crick Crack ClubNick Hennessy is telling the story of The Ruined House of Skin - an Irish one, which I've heard before, but he's one of the best on the circuit, and always worth going to. Now, this is on at the Arthouse in Crouch End again, and after the debacle the last time, with no confirmation email from them, I checked - and don't have one for this either! So, when I was up there the last time, I asked them to print out my receipt, which I've been holding onto carefully ever since.

Next Friday, London Dramatic Arts is seeing Gloria in Hampstead Theatre - and since they're getting us to buy our own tickets for once, so am I! Pulitzer-Prize-winning, apparently.

And on the 17th, I had my eye on Day Trips from London, who are headed on a Lulworth Cove Heritage Site, Corfe Castle Village + Warhead Quay Day Trip. But I was busy when the email came through to advertise it, and wouldn't you know it, by the time I got around to it, it had booked out! Always popular, it seems. Never mind - while I was at Soho Theatre the other night, I was facing the screen advertising future events, and what should I see but that Andrew Maxwell is performing a run there, ending that day. Now, I saw him live once before, and he was fall-off-your-seat hilarious! So I've booked. So much for my Westminster Residents' Card though, which is supposed to give £1 off at this venue - there was no mention of it when I came to book! Bah humbug..

No comments:

Post a Comment