Tuesday 25 April 2017

The Comedy Store Players

I considered yesterday a summery treat - the Man with the Hat took both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! to the Globe (ah, it's been too long..). For one night only, the Comedy Store Players regaled us with their unique brand of improv. As usual, London for Less than a Tenner standing in the yard, Let's Do London - for less! in lower gallery seats. Which is where I go - couldn't take standing for that long.

Now, I always associate the Globe with summer - but to describe yesterday as "summery" might have been a step too far. The day was gloomy, the afternoon rainy, and in general it was freezing. Anyway, I decided to walk - it'd just take a little longer than the bus, I'd get some exercise, and I could get cash on the way. My evening took a severe downturn when I got cash, though - after being paid on Friday, my available balance was just £30! So I took out £20 - and it was right at that moment that a nearby homeless man decided to accost me. Expecting to get the £20, doubtless, when it was literally all I had of disposable income - he wasn't at all impressed with the spare change I offered him, and when he started to insult me, I turned on my heel and kept my change to myself. It wasn't a fun walk down, though, imagining having been ripped off again (as happened in December), and to top it all off, it rained quite heavily upon me.



Hey-ho, I joined a few other early birds at the arranged meeting point - we beat the Man with the Hat to it, by a few minutes. Got our tickets, made our way into the piazza outside the Globe building - the building wasn't open just yet - and hung around chatting. For all that I'd specifically got out cash so as to be able to buy stuff from the wandering vendors, I didn't feel like it, now that I was once again impoverished.. Well, I wasn't hungry or thirsty anyway.





When the doors opened, we made our way in.



I had a comfy, back row seat, where I could lean against the wall. And get a good vantage point of everyone else! And as the rows in front of me filled - if there were spare seats, I didn't see any - I had a windbreak, too; damn, it was cold!



(Massive crack in that pillar - I can see why they have bands around it, to hold it together.)

A line of chairs on stage awaited the arrival of the Comedy Store performers - and my, this evening was worth coming out for! Various games required them to improvise on the spot, and I haven't seen better. Rapid-fire, really funny - highlights included an operation where they had to switch from horror style, to musical, to Bollywood.. They started with a game where one was sent outside, while the audience came up with outlandish suggestions he had to guess when he came back, and - given the venue - they finished off with a Shakespearian-inspired play ("Julius Caesar Salad"). Honestly though, the highlight of the night for me had to be the Tale of the Haunted Carrot, in the style of a musical. And kudos to whoever helpfully threw a couple of carrots on-stage as props for that one!

Fabulous stuff, and the Comedy Store deserves its reputation. Great, too, to be back at the Globe - even if we nearly froze in our places. One night it might have been more comfortable to be standing - I wished I'd rented a blanket. At least I had gloves. Afterwards, we repaired to The Swan, as usual - shuffling all the way back to the meeting point in the freezing cold, just to be directed back in again. Could just have gone straight in - it's just across the piazza from the Globe! Never mind, it was great to be indoors.

Toilet first - I needed to go, and figured this would give the bar time to calm down - service tends to be busy, here. Struggled with a weak flush - apologies to whoever next used that cubicle - and, sure enough, by the time I came out the bar was manageable. Ordered a large wine - they have three prices on the menu, for a medium glass, carafe, and bottle, but rest assured, large is also available. And sat, and we had a convivial chat. For once, I thought to bring my sponsorship form with me - for that sponsored walk that Helen and I are doing in September, for Cats Protection. And lo, I got a good few new sponsors! Many thanks, all.

And all that walking I did yesterday will help with that. Walked back to the office afterwards, to check my account..




And wouldn't you know it, it was all a storm in a teacup. It was past midnight by the time I logged in to my account, and my monthly salary had just been paid in. Phew! Blasted banks, and their unnecessary delays.

Tonight, London European Club (LEC) - it'll have been a while! They're off to an informal evening of classical music, in Peckham.

Tomorrow, London Literary Walks is doing the Sloane Ranger. Rain forecast, and the organiser has offered to redo the walk next month - but consensus among those of us there last night was that we'd risk tomorrow.

On Thursday, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walks, Talks and Treasure HuntsTFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Handily, I have no meetings scheduled for that day, so we have time to eat beforehand. Then back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for Monday, I've booked The Ferryman, with London Dramatic Arts (LDAM), at the Royal Court.

Next Tuesday, London Speaks SessionsLDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction? One I'm unlikely to cancel.

On 3 May, London Literary Walks is off around Gloucester Road.

On 4 May, Let's Do London - for less! is off on its last scheduled trip to the opera house - the occasion is Mayerling, my favourite ballet, and is sold out by now, I see. We have tickets in both slips and amphitheatre, as usual. The clock is counting down on remaining Meetups for this most excellent group - we're already feeling the pinch of its events being scheduled less frequently.

On 5 May, I'd bought a ticket to Nell Gwynn, at the Globe - then it turned out that LDAM is going on the same night! (Buy Your Own Ticket.) As the organiser said, it must be fate.. it'll certainly be nice to have company. Odd venue for them, though - I know the organiser doesn't like it.

And on 6 May, I'm joining the LEC for a classical concert at the Royal Festival Hall. Oh joy, they're playing Beethoven's 9th..

No comments:

Post a Comment