Saturday 1 April 2017

Dinner: Bistro1 & Ballet: Jewels

Last night, London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) was off to see The Goat - or Who Is Sylvia? with Damian Lewis, at the Theatre Royal Haymarket. I managed to get a cheaper ticket - however, our team member was visiting from Stockholm, and it was her last night.. and you know, I wasn't that pushed about that play anyway, and trying to avoid those LDAM people who object to members buying their own tickets.. So I hung around the office. Drinks, sensibly, were in the office, which is well stocked - and finally, some of us decided we were hungry, and headed for dinner with no firm idea of where we were going.

Meandering through Soho, we finally lit on Bistro1. Crowded on ground level, but they offered us a table in the basement, which was just fine. Décor is enhanced by these ornate, stained-glass mosaic lights:




We skipped starters. Our visitor and I had beef bourguignon - sadly, I can't remember what the guys had, I was so intent on my own! Besides, I was more than a bit tipsy - I'd imbibed heavily in the office, and we shared a bottle here as well - and for some reason the bottles in the cooler looked rather large to me, I do remember saying that! As I ended up finishing this bottle as well, I decided I'd better order a dessert to absorb it, even though I was the only one having one. And do you know, it was all excellent - the beef bourguignon was tasty and filling, the lemon sorbet I had for dessert really lemony. Fantastic value for central London, for £20 a head including tip! Must remember it for the future.

Today, April started with the Man with the Hat (long time no see!). Both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! went to see the ballet Jewels at the Royal Opera House. He's not scheduling so many things lately, and this was something of a rare treat. Anyway, some of us arrived before him - but after directing some to the best lifts to take, I was left to my own devices. Got a glass of wine, took my seat in the slips.

Well, I had planned to dress appropriate to the theme, in something like a jewel colour; how fortunate that the colour I picked was one they also had (I hadn't checked). First up was a ballet called "Emeralds", to the music of Fauré, to be followed by a sassier piece called "Rubies", to the trains of Stravinsky, and finishing off the evening was a piece called diamonds, set to an extravagant score by Tchaikovsky. And despite the lack of story - which did bother some - the whole affair was gorgeous to look at (as you might expect). The dancers for each piece, of course, wore sparkling costumes of the appropriate colour, the sparse stage lined with backdrops of the same colour. It was a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon, and the final extravaganza sent us away dazzled.

To The Sun Tavern afterwards, where we'd booked most of the first floor, as usual - and unusually, we took up most of it, too! I grabbed a seat at the end, ordered food - tried the onion rings for the first time, they were quite good. Wine was courtesy of the Man with the Hat, who was to be seen measuring out lines of glasses of it at the bar, before taking himself off. The rest of us had an enlightening chat.. Watch this space.

For tomorrow, I booked a guided walk through IslingtonBetween the Wars - with London for a Tenner or LessFunzing, so I could cancel, provided I did it in time - and then I decided I'd rather go to a film. Top of the list are a couple of documentaries, and the one I'm more interested in is Tickling Giants, about a comedian and chat show host in Cairo who's always sticking two fingers up to the authorities, and getting in trouble for it. (I've been particularly interested in Egypt since I visited, back in 2000.) It's showing, that day only, in the Curzon Bloomsbury - walking distance from me, nice! Seeing that it was starting to fill up, I booked, and cancelled Funzing. Again - I have a litany of cancelled Funzing events, these days!

On Monday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club - at Soho Theatre this time, for an evening of Greek mythology entitled Atalanta, brought to us by the able Ben Haggerty. You know, now that I'm a Westminster resident, I have a Westminster card, which - among other things - entitles me to £1 off at this theatre! Pity I didn't yet have it when I booked this..

On Tuesday, Let's Do London - for less! is back at the Opera House, for Madama Butterfly. I'm in the slips, as usual. Was telling this to one of my colleagues - he's seen it, apparently, and was very impressed.

Wednesday - why, it must be summer! Welcome back, London Literary Walks - good to see you. We're on The Composers' Walk - apparently a repeat. And yay, we're meeting in Caffe Nero - I can have a chocolate Milano.

On Thursday, I'm with the World Music Meetup, for a free concert of Iranian music at the Brunei Gallery. It's been a while for me, with both group and venue.. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again, and a meeting with my birth and adoptive mothers on the 8th. That's assuming we can agree on a venue - we had decided on Greene's, but there's no parking, my mother can't walk any distance, and while she had agreed to take a taxi, she's now gone and changed her mind. I've asked whether the venue can be changed - no word yet; it's more awkward, as we're still communicating through a social worker.

On the 10th, I'm back at the Wanamaker Playhouse - always a favourite - for The White Devil, a Jacobean tale.

On the 11th, I got a cheap ticket to the Caine and Kane comedy show, in Brixton.

On the 12th, I'm with LDAM to see Don Juan in Soho, with David Tennant, in Wyndham's. Just down Charing Cross Road - nice!

Then I'm back to Ireland for Easter - on Good Friday, my (adoptive) mother and I are off to La Bohème, at the University Concert Hall.

On the 18th, back in London, and back with Funzing - London Speaks SessionsLDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less, for a talk on the Science of Paranormal Activity. Unless I get a better offer, in time - it'd have to be a good one, I'm interested in this!

On the 19th, London Literary Walks is off down Brick Lane - and so am I.

On the 20th, I have my usual placeholder of free comedy in Hammersmith - courtesy of Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy. Of course - much like Funzing - I usually end up cancelling these, when something better comes up.

Ditto the 21st - or I may go to the cinema that day. As usual, watch this space..!

On the 22nd, I'm off to see the Naked House Cleaner! Venue to be revealed just the day before.. ooh!

On the 23rd, I'm on a walk of Hampstead Village Highlights, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts. Be good exercise, leading up to my own sponsored walk in September, in aid of Cats Protection.. Helen and I are going as Dick Whittington and his cat. She's the cat.

The 24th, another summery treat! The Man with the Hat is taking both groups to the Globe (ah, it's been too long..). For one night only, the Comedy Store Players will regale us with Shakespeare-inspired improv. As usual, London for Less than a Tenner standing in the yard, Let's Do London - for less! in lower gallery seats. Which is where I go - couldn't take standing for that long.

The 25th, London European Club again - it'll have been a while! They're off to an informal evening of classical music, in Peckham.

The 26th, London Literary Walks is doing the Sloane Ranger.

The 27th, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts. TFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Then back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for 1 May, I've booked The Ferryman, with LDAM, at the Royal Court.

And 2 May, those same three Funzing groups have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment