Sunday 23 April 2017

Parkland Walk

Today, I booked a walk of Hampstead Village Highlights, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts. Would be a lunchtime start! Be good exercise though, leading up to my own sponsored walk in September, in aid of Cats Protection.. Helen and I are going as Dick Whittington and his cat. (She's the cat.) Now, I didn't sleep great last night, and woke up quite groggy, and slightly later than intended - I'd have to rush, and likely not have time for breakfast - blast it anyway. Imagine my delight when I checked my emails and discovered it was cancelled - apparently the poor organiser had a migraine! Bad for her - but it meant I could do as I pleased.

Pickings were slim on Meetup, though - I'd already cancelled my attendance at a free comedy night in Hammersmith, and didn't really want to return to that. Otherwise, the only thing that appealed was with Ken's Events, who were walking from Finsbury Park to Muswell Hill, along an abandoned railway line. Now, Ken's Events are, not to put too fine a point on it, quite shit - each of the two events I've been on with them was something of an organisational disaster - and the only reason I'm still a member is to get ideas for stuff to do on my own. So there was no way I was joining them - but head off on my own? That I could do. I had a look at where they might be headed, and discovered there was this thing called the Parkland Walk. Fine, so - off I headed (after breakast).

I could easily have taken the Tube to Finsbury Park (I did yesterday!), but I do prefer the bus - cheaper, and you see more. And it was a beautiful, sunny day - if not that warm, yet. Pretty good for a walk. The #29 would take me straight there - but when I checked the display on the bus stop, there was no mention of it! (Despite Google Maps saying there'd be one along in a few minutes.) A sign on the bus stop warned of delays and road closures on account of the London Marathon - oh dear, said I, perhaps the 29 is affected! With no other bus heading my way, I was on the point of heading to the Tube when... along came a 29. Heh - so much for bus stop indicators.

And it was a delightfully sunny bus ride up to Finsbury Park, where I didn't really know where to go, but basically followed my nose, around the corner of the station, and when I saw some greenery I made a beeline for it. Passed along a cycle path at the edge of Finsbury Park itself - busy with sunbathers, footballers, and random youths in hoodies, doing random things together in the bushes - and after a footbridge over the road, duly came to a sign for the Parkland Walk. Yay, I'd found it!

  

A pleasant walk, among surprisingly rural scenery, skirted by housing estates - no traffic noise though, I might actually have been back in Ireland! The path is fairly even, if a bit stony - and it was fairly busy on a sunny Sunday afternoon. I had to skirt pedestrians, a lot of cute doggies being given walkies, and not a few cyclists - sporadic signs warn them that pedestrians have right of way. And one unicyclist, who had chosen this route to practice on, and was to be seen going back and forth, back and forth..

At Crouch End, you see the first real signs that you're walking along a train track:



and just after, they have a playground! Complete with treehouses, a zipwire, and a skateboard ramp.


Very pleasant, and it was about time, as I say, that I started to get in some practice for that sponsored walk. However, there's a break in the walk at Highgate, where I decided to call it quits - this was enough to be starting with, I'd probably seen the most interesting bits, and I needed the loo.

The #134 would take me stright home from there. Now, where was that bus stop? Oh yes, down there (Highgate is very hilly). The one with the 134 just passing it, yes. Never mind, there was a seat at the stop, and another 134 happened along a few minutes later - accurately predicted by the departure indicator at the stop, this time. And while I was waiting, I marvelled at the difference between the tranquility of the path I'd just left, and the roar of the traffic on Archway Road, a short distance away.
 Tomorrow, a summery treat! The Man with the Hat is taking both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! to the Globe (ah, it's been too long..). For one night only, the Comedy Store Players will regale us with Shakespeare-inspired improv. As usual, London for Less than a Tenner standing in the yard, Let's Do London - for less! in lower gallery seats. Which is where I go - couldn't take standing for that long. Better savour this trip - he only has four more events scheduled, three of which I'm going to, with no word on whether he'll continue longterm. And if he doesn't (Heaven forbid!), that'll leave a huge, hat-shaped hole in my life. Plenty of other stuff to go to, but hardly anything I'll look forward to as much as his events. This man knows how to organise a Meetup.

On Tuesday, London European Club (LEC) - it'll have been a while! They're off to an informal evening of classical music, in Peckham.

On Wednesday, London Literary Walks is doing the Sloane Ranger.

On Thursday, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts. TFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Then back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for 1 May, I've booked The Ferryman, with London Dramatic Arts (LDAM), at the Royal Court.

On 2 May, London Speaks Sessions, LDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction? Again, one I'm unlikely to cancel.

On 3 May, London Literary Walks is off around Gloucester Road.

On 4 May, Let's Do London - for less! is off on its last scheduled trip to the opera house - the occasion is Mayerling, my favourite ballet, and is sold out by now, I see. We have tickets in both slips and amphitheatre, as usual.

On 5 May, I'd bought a ticket to Nell Gwynn, at the Globe - then it turned out that LDAM is going on the same night! (Buy Your Own Ticket.) As the organiser said, it must be fate.. it'll certainly be nice to have company. Odd venue for them, though - I know the organiser doesn't like it.

And on 6 May, I'm joining the LEC for a classical concert at the Royal Festival Hall. Oh joy, they're playing Beethoven's 9th..

No comments:

Post a Comment