Wednesday 5 April 2017

Opera: Madama Butterfly

Another much-anticipated Man with the Hat event, as popular as the Opera House always is - last night he took Let's Do London - for less! to Madama Butterfly. So, off I went, leaving straight from the office as usual, got my ticket for the slips (he also had Amphitheatre), accompanied inside the small group of people who'd already arrived. We were in plenty of time, so I ushered them to the Amphitheatre bar, where one kindly bought me a drink (in fact, I didn't have to buy a drink all night!).

And so to the slips, in plenty of time for the lights to go down and the curtain up. This is an opera I've seen plenty of times - the University Concert Hall, near where my mother lives, stages two operas a year, and this has featured highly. So the story was familiar to me, of the Japanese ingenue married off to an American sailor, abandoning her family and culture in a rush of teenage passion, little realising that she is the only one in the room taking it seriously. And the music was just as familiar.

No matter what my mood at the beginning of this opera, I know I'll be teary by the end. It's a fabulously sad story, watching this poor innocent's hopes dashed by a callous older man. At the interval (only one, for once), one woman remarked that, goodness, typical opera: the woman always gets it in the neck! Well, as I said, if you thought the first act was depressing, wait till you see the second bit..!

The second and third acts see the action and drama ramped up, and the lead singer's beautiful, crystal-clear voice becomes ever more apparent. I liked how - from our elevated vantage point, anyway - the leads didn't seem too old, for once; Butterfly's hair is mostly loose, in a younger style, which is the first time I've seen it worn down - and her sailor, Pinkerton, isn't as obviously middle-aged as many I've seen. But of course, what we were there for was the music - and I'm quite sure I haven't heard a better production. As I say, Butterfly's voice soared above the rest, and I quite agreed with the chap beside me when he leapt to his feet in applause after one of her arias!

Mind you (spoiler alert), it was vey bad manners of her to kill herself at our side of the stage, where we couldn't see her, and sundry people in our row were to be seen jumping to their feet in a vain attempt to see what was happening! Also, it was interesting that one of our group had downloaded the play version, which has a slightly different ending - I think he was slightly miffed about that. How and ever, a beautiful production of what is always a moving opera. Runs on selected dates until the 25th.

And so to The Covent Garden, and upstairs, where he assured us that wine was already poured! Sure enough, glasses of red and white awaited us - not enough for the horde that followed, though! I'm sure it's the improvement in the weather that's doing it - there've been a lot more staying on lately, after the shows. Which is a good thing. Never fear, the Man with the Hat reappeared after a bit, having shepherded the last from the Opera House, and armed with another couple of bottles and an armful of glasses.. It was more than a bit crowded, and I was cosily ensconced in a corner, so didn't get a chance to have a word. But, you know, watch this space..

Today - why, it must be summer! Welcome back, London Literary Walks - good to see you. We're on The Composers' Walk - apparently a repeat. And a lovely, sunny day for it. And yay, we're meeting in Caffe Nero - I can have a chocolate Milano.

Tomorrow, I'm with the World Music Meetup, for a free concert of Iranian music at the Brunei Gallery. It's been a while for me, with both group and venue..

Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again, and a meeting with my birth and adoptive mothers on the 8th. That's assuming we can agree on a venue - we had decided on Greene's, but there's no parking, my mother can't walk any distance, and while she had agreed to take a taxi, she's now gone and changed her mind. The new suggestion is Bowes Ryan, in the same building as the multi-storey; I'll run it past her when I call her this evening.

On Monday, I'm back at the Wanamaker Playhouse - always a favourite - for The White Devil, a Jacobean tale.

On Tuesday, I got a cheap ticket to the Caine and Kane comedy show, in Brixton. However, when Funzing (courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night) advertised a talk on Exploring the Mind of a Psychopath, I was intrigued, cancelled the first and booked this instead. I tried a couple of Funzing codes, and EnjoyFunzing10 worked, to get me 10% off. Also, thank goodness it isn't in blasted Cafe 1001 this time! No, this one I can probably walk to.

Next Wednesday, I'm with London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) to see Don Juan in Soho, with David Tennant, in Wyndham's. Just down Charing Cross Road - nice!

Then I'm back to Ireland for Easter - on Good Friday, my (adoptive) mother and I are off to La Bohème, at the University Concert Hall.

On the 18th, back in London, and back with Funzing - London Speaks Sessions, LDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less, for a talk on the Science of Paranormal Activity. Unless I get a better offer, in time - it'd have to be a good one, I'm interested in this!

On the 19th, London Literary Walks is off down Brick Lane - and so am I.

On the 20th, I have my usual placeholder of free comedy in Hammersmith - courtesy of Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy. Of course - much like Funzing - I usually end up cancelling these, when something better comes up.

Ditto the 21st - or I may go to the cinema that day. As usual, watch this space..!

On the 22nd, I'm off to see the Naked House Cleaner! Venue to be revealed just the day before.. ooh!

On the 23rd, I'm on a walk of Hampstead Village Highlights, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts. Be good exercise, leading up to my own sponsored walk in September, in aid of Cats Protection.. Helen and I are going as Dick Whittington and his cat. She's the cat.

The 24th, another summery treat! The Man with the Hat is taking both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! to the Globe (ah, it's been too long..). For one night only, the Comedy Store Players will regale us with Shakespeare-inspired improv. As usual, London for Less than a Tenner standing in the yard, Let's Do London - for less! in lower gallery seats. Which is where I go - couldn't take standing for that long.

The 25th, London European Club again - it'll have been a while! They're off to an informal evening of classical music, in Peckham.

The 26th, London Literary Walks is doing the Sloane Ranger.

The 27th, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts. TFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Then back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for 1 May, I've booked The Ferryman, with LDAM, at the Royal Court.


And 2 May, those same three Funzing groups have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment