Tuesday 4 April 2017

Storytelling: Atalanta

Crick Crack again last night, booked ages ago and finally advertised on their Meetup page. Anyway, a nice easy one - Soho Theatre, a few minutes' walk from the office. I didn't even have the evening meeting I was supposed to have! So.. I was rushing, as usual. Well, there's always something else to do..

Swerved around a seemingly infinite number of clumps of people in my way in the streets, and arrived at the theatre at about showtime. She didn't even ask for my postcode at the box office, and the usher suggested I take the lift, which I gratefully did. The third floor is exhausting if you're in a hurry. I got off at the door to the theatre, Ben Haggerty pacing up and down restlessly outside. Inside, I saw a convenient seat at the edge of the central section, and was seated a minute or so before he came in. Mind you, people were arriving for ages afterwards and being let in - Ben was very welcoming to one old gent, feeble on his walking stick, who took one of the seats near the door that are reserved for latecomers.

Still, I'd have hated to miss any of this. The story was that of Atalanta, a Greek myth, at which he excels. Back in black after last week's lying contest, he was on form, weaving for us a hypnotic and enthralling tale. Really, it doesn't matter what story he chooses to tell - he makes it so magical that it'll never be forgotten. My bum might have been numb by the end - those folding chairs aren't the comfiest, and there was no interval - but it was a memorable performance, as ever. Seriously one of the best events in London, Crick Crack storytelling!

It was on my way home, so I took myself straight home, no laptop, and no blogging. Tonight, Let's Do London - for less! is back at the Opera House, for Madama Butterfly. I'm in the slips, as usual. Was telling this to one of my colleagues - he's seen it, apparently, and was very impressed. And we must have a chat, with the Man in the Hat..

Tomorrow - why, it must be summer! Welcome back, London Literary Walks - good to see you. We're on The Composers' Walk - apparently a repeat. And yay, we're meeting in Caffe Nero - I can have a chocolate Milano.

On Thursday, I'm with the World Music Meetup, for a free concert of Iranian music at the Brunei Gallery. It's been a while for me, with both group and venue.. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again, and a meeting with my birth and adoptive mothers on the 8th. That's assuming we can agree on a venue - we had decided on Greene's, but there's no parking, my mother can't walk any distance, and while she had agreed to take a taxi, she's now gone and changed her mind. I've asked whether the venue can be changed - no word yet; it's more awkward, as we're still communicating through a social worker.

On Monday, I'm back at the Wanamaker Playhouse - always a favourite - for The White Devil, a Jacobean tale.

Next Tuesday, I got a cheap ticket to the Caine and Kane comedy show, in Brixton. However, when Funzing (courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night) advertised a talk on Exploring the Mind of a Psychopath, I was intrigued, cancelled the first and booked this instead. I tried a couple of Funzing codes, and EnjoyFunzing10 worked, to get me 10% off. Also, thank goodness it isn't in blasted Cafe 1001 this time! No, this one I can probably walk to.

On the 12th, I'm with London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) to see Don Juan in Soho, with David Tennant, in Wyndham's. Just down Charing Cross Road - nice!

Then I'm back to Ireland for Easter - on Good Friday, my (adoptive) mother and I are off to La Bohème, at the University Concert Hall.

On the 18th, back in London, and back with Funzing - London Speaks Sessions, LDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less, for a talk on the Science of Paranormal Activity. Unless I get a better offer, in time - it'd have to be a good one, I'm interested in this!

On the 19th, London Literary Walks is off down Brick Lane - and so am I.

On the 20th, I have my usual placeholder of free comedy in Hammersmith - courtesy of Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy. Of course - much like Funzing - I usually end up cancelling these, when something better comes up.

Ditto the 21st - or I may go to the cinema that day. As usual, watch this space..!

On the 22nd, I'm off to see the Naked House Cleaner! Venue to be revealed just the day before.. ooh!

On the 23rd, I'm on a walk of Hampstead Village Highlights, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts. Be good exercise, leading up to my own sponsored walk in September, in aid of Cats Protection.. Helen and I are going as Dick Whittington and his cat. She's the cat.

The 24th, another summery treat! The Man with the Hat is taking both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! to the Globe (ah, it's been too long..). For one night only, the Comedy Store Players will regale us with Shakespeare-inspired improv. As usual, London for Less than a Tenner standing in the yard, Let's Do London - for less! in lower gallery seats. Which is where I go - couldn't take standing for that long.

The 25th, London European Club again - it'll have been a while! They're off to an informal evening of classical music, in Peckham.

The 26th, London Literary Walks is doing the Sloane Ranger.

The 27th, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts. TFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Then back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for 1 May, I've booked The Ferryman, with LDAM, at the Royal Court.

And 2 May, those same three Funzing groups have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment