Friday 21 April 2017

Film: Raw

Tonight, I had my usual placeholder of free comedy in Hammersmith - courtesy of Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy. Of course - much like Funzing - I usually end up cancelling these, when something better comes up. And lo and behold, tonight I fancied going to a film. Spent all Wednesday doing the list, and at the end, would you believe, deleted something like 40 films from the top of the list, as not showing today! I do believe that cinemas believe that cinema audiences are quite conservative on Fridays, so they only serve up what they think will be most popular.

And so it was, with a leap in its ratings, that Raw came up tops, at 7.5 on IMDB - respectable for any film, phenomenal for a horror. It's been getting excellent reviews, so I really felt obliged to see it, as a lifelong horror fan. Plenty of stories about people fainting and puking at previews, needing medical attention - that, and the poster, suggested a blood-fest. Fine - I've seen worse (and read even worse than that - the written word always has the potential to be scarier, and gorier).

Showing widely last week, wouldn't you know, tonight its only showing was in the Rio, in Dalston. At 6. But that was ok, I could have made it in under an hour by bus. Unfortunately, as usual, I got caught up, and ended up having to take the fastest route, which ended up being quite convoluted. So - Northern Line to Warren Street, Victoria Line to Highbury & Islington, Overground to Dalston. (It occurred to me today that, for all the weeks I haven't had to use my Oyster card, I'm making up for it this fortnight - I'll have been using it every day..)

Google Maps wanted me to go to Leicester Square to catch the Northern Line, but I figured Tottenham Court Road was as close, and in the right direction! Went up there, hopped on the Northern Line, changed to a VERY crowded Victoria Line, where I had to get on sideways so I'd fit, and couldn't even reach a rail, having to steady myself by holding my hand against the roof of the carriage. I was glad that neither Tube journey was very long. Arriving in Highbury & Islington, I saw that I was just in time to have missed that Overground I should've caught - slight delays on the Tube - and the next wasn't due for 8 minutes. Figured I'd be faster on the bus (on which I also had to stand) - I probably wasn't. Anyway, I finally rocked up at the cinema at 6:15, and the man at the desk smiled, "Just in time!" (Thank goodness I wasn't headed to a play!) Seating was unallocated - there was hardly anyone there, actually - and I was in time to watch a couple of interesting trailers.

And so to the film. Well, it's French, and I believe it's the director's first feature. And as you might have heard in reviews, the subject is a young lady from a strictly vegetarian family, who begins veterinary school - where her sister has gone before her. Now, this gore that was mentioned need not really be feared - I suspect that those who fainted were of particularly gentle disposition. To be fair, there's a fair amount of red stuff - but there would be anyway, as they are veterinary students, and have some large animals to study. Including dissections.

Also, had I been a student at this school, I'd have quit fairly quickly, Honestly! Dorm raids in the middle of the night by guys in balaclavas, mattresses thrown from the windows, "rookies" doused in blood and forced to eat raw offal - WTF? Anyway, our hapless first year is dumped in the midst of all this, and forced to do as above. Has a peculiar reaction, though - both physical and psychological.

Don't be fooled, this is really clever. Remember, her sister has gone before her - and guess what? experienced some of the same. Also, their parents went through the same college. So everybody in the family experienced this.. And once you get done with considering that, try considering that this is allegorical. Now, that makes it quite clever indeed. Basically, it's a coming-of-age story.. and the final scene left me laughing in disbelief! Yes, this is a good film by anyone's assessment - recommended. Not too gory, if you have any experience of the same - although I did hear an audience member on the way out, on the phone to someone who'd seen it, and saying, "So you thought the worst bit was the raw chicken..?!"

And I managed to get a (single) bus home. Tomorrow, I'm off to see the Naked House Cleaner! Venue was revealed today.. ooh! And I see it's byob - well, if you insist!

On Sunday, I'm on a walk of Hampstead Village Highlights, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts. Be good exercise, leading up to my own sponsored walk in September, in aid of Cats Protection.. Helen and I are going as Dick Whittington and his cat. She's the cat.

On Monday, a summery treat! The Man with the Hat is taking both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! to the Globe (ah, it's been too long..). For one night only, the Comedy Store Players will regale us with Shakespeare-inspired improv. As usual, London for Less than a Tenner standing in the yard, Let's Do London - for less! in lower gallery seats. Which is where I go - couldn't take standing for that long. Better savour this trip - he only has four more events scheduled, three of which I'm going to, with no word on whether he'll continue longterm. And if he doesn't (Heaven forbid!), that'll leave a huge, hat-shaped hole in my life. Plenty of other stuff to go to, but hardly anything I'll look forward to as much as his events.

On Tuesday, London European Club (LEC) - it'll have been a while! They're off to an informal evening of classical music, in Peckham.

On Wednesday, London Literary Walks is doing the Sloane Ranger.

On Thursday, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts. TFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Then back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for 1 May, I've booked The Ferryman, with London Dramatic Arts (LDAM), at the Royal Court.

On 2 May, London Speaks Sessions, LDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction? Again, one I'm unlikely to cancel.

On 3 May, London Literary Walks is off around Gloucester Road.

On 4 May, Let's Do London - for less! is off on its last scheduled trip to the opera house - the occasion is Mayerling, my favourite ballet, and is sold out by now, I see. We have tickets in both slips and amphitheatre, as usual.

On 5 May, I'd bought a ticket to Nell Gwynn, at the Globe - then it turned out that LDAM is going on the same night! (Buy Your Own Ticket.) As the organiser said, it must be fate.. it'll certainly be nice to have company. Odd venue for them, though - I know the organiser doesn't like it.

And on 6 May, I'm joining the LEC for a classical concert at the Royal Festival Hall. Oh joy, they're playing Beethoven's 9th..

No comments:

Post a Comment