Thursday 4 December 2014

Opera: L' Elisir d' Amore

After a week of unfamiliar venues, back to the old reliable Opera House! And to an opera I'd seen before, and liked enough to try again - l' Elisir d' Amore. And in the opera house, back to my accustomed level, up in the rafters.

I've had a very busy week, and was rushing out this evening. But the Tube ran to schedule, the only minor inconvenience being crowds at Covent Garden Station: and I was soon in Covent Garden - which is beautiful at Christmas. Some photos here. Of my Paddington Bear trail, I knew one was at the piazza entrance to the opera house, so managed to snap him on the way in. Not having a lot of time before the show, I decided to leave the other for when I was on the way out again.

As I collected my things after picking up my ticket at the box office, the girl behind me had one of those slightly unusual requests; apparently, her dad had bought the tickets and was now stuck in traffic - and you're supposed to produce the credit card used in the purchase. Could they give her the tickets anyway? Yes, if they could get him on the phone.. which they were organising as I left the desk. So now you know.

As I made my way in, the 10-minute warning was given. As I finally reached my level, music started to play and I got a bit worried - but no, it was only the prelude to the 5-minute warning. Very tuneful! Anyway, they were fibbing - the performance was at least 5 minutes late in starting, as they waited for people to get to their seats. Even at that, the people on the very inside of our row were so late that they had to wait for the first scene change before they were allowed to take their seats.

The seats are a teeny bit snug, with not quite enough legroom (I'm 5' 6''), and no armrests, so it can be cosy if you're sat beside someone large. Or just someone with aggressive elbows, as I had tonight. Actually, she seemed quite dour in general, resolutely not clapping for the whole of the first part, up to the interval. Mind you, she seemed to relax after the interval. Maybe she had a wee drinkie?

As someone remarked on the way out, this is a perfect show to have on just before Christmas. It's a comic opera, y'see, and it's such fun! As I mentioned before, the last time I saw this was in the back room of a pub, which was great fun. Tonight's production was on a much larger stage, with a much larger cast.. and was even more fun! Mind you, the people behind me were remarking that it wasn't exactly in period setting. No indeed, it was written in the 19th century, and this was performed with 50s style décor and costumes. I guess they would've liked some flouncier costumes. Actually, I can imagine how, if you don't come to the opera a lot, and you find yourself at the Royal Opera House, you would expect something rather grand..

Whereas in this production, you get something deliciously silly! Vespas, bicycles, a lorry and an ill-fated tractor criss-cross the stage at various points. A small dog runs across the stage at one point, for no better reason than because it's cute. And the physical gags are hilarious! The company take it on in good humour, and at the end, when they're taking their bows, the singer portraying the lead role of Nemorino does a little dance. Indeed, it must be catching, because when the orchestra conductor comes on to take his bow, he does a little dance as well! Don't be mistaken though - this is a proper opera, and the aforementioned Nemorino brought tears to the eyes and cries of "Bravo!" for his rendition of Una Furtiva Lagrima.

Terrific fun. There are two remaining performances, with very limited availability: next Tuesday, and the following Saturday.. very glad I decided to come! The house was so packed, it must have taken me 20 minutes to get out. And I found my second bear without much trouble, just by following the sign for the "South Hall" in Covent Garden Market. There's a kind of magic in Covent Garden at Christmas, and as I made my way back to the station, I passed a busking tuba player, whose instrument spurted a large flame every time he blew into it! Took me four goes to capture it on camera. The tune he was playing was a catchy one, and a small crowd had gathered, with a couple of girls dancing to the music.

Back to Ireland tomorrow - it'll be good to have a change in schedule. Saturday sees a candlelit fundraising concert in Oatfield Church. Back in London, on Monday I'll be at Cirque Berserk in Hyde Park's Winter Wonderland. After desperately trying to get U2 tickets that morning..

No comments:

Post a Comment