Wednesday 10 December 2014

Carol Concert (Smile)

I stayed in last night, exhausted - and broke - from the angst of trying to buy U2 tickets, and not keen on what was on offer. I'm booked up for the near future anyway.

I was a bit dubious about going to two carol services in successive weeks. What the hey, I decided to take the risk and book for Smile's Christmas Carol Concert. It was on in Grosvenor Chapel - somewhere I've never been - in Mayfair, a part of town I'm not overly familiar with.

Naturally, I consulted Google Maps, who told me to get the Tube to Hyde Park Corner - fair enough - and walk. The walking directions were complicated enough that I printed them out, with some Streetview scenes. And so I intrepidly set out and took the Tube to Hyde Park Corner. The District Line was very packed - someone remarked that it was because there was a match on at Stamford Bridge. Every door was stuffed with people, but I saw people disembarking from the second door - thus making space - and I got on there. In other news, I see they're stopping at Gloucester Road again these days.. the Piccadilly Line platforms there were closed for ages for maintenance.

Well, I disembarked at Hyde Park Corner, and the trouble began - as it always does here. There are five exits - four of which are marked - and while there are some direction signs, they're not always as comprehensive as you'd like. So, for instance, you are told that two of the exits are this way, and what you can find there - i.e. if you're heading to any of these places, this is the direction you should go in. Great - except they don't specify which exit for which attraction, and when you get to the end of the corridor, there are two exits in opposite directions and no way to tell which is which. There's also a mural about Waterloo, which I'd have liked to have read, but I didn't have time, fearing that I would spend the entire evening finding my way out of the station.

Knowing I had to make my way along Park Lane, I followed the signs for Park Lane. So I found myself above ground at last. Looking around, I determined that the best way to get where I estimated I needed to be.. was to take an underpass right ahead of me. So that's what I did.

Google Maps' directions at this point are somewhat bonkers, especially considering that it's almost impossible, at this junction, to tell which of several intersecting roads you're on. And I quote: "Head East on Knightsbridge." (Apart from not knowing which is Knightsbridge, how are you supposed to know which is East?) "Go 43 ft. Turn left towards S Carriage Drive." (I should point out here that the area is sorely lacking in street signs - you know, the ones that tell you what street you're on.) "Turn right onto S Carriage Drive." (?) "Turn left onto Park Lane."

Here's my suggestion. Stay underground and follow the signs for Park Lane (as best you can). Actually, this brings you out on the opposite side of the road to where you are with Google Maps, but that's where you want to be anyway.

Google Maps continues: "Slight right onto Stanhope Gate." (What's a "slight right"?) "Stanhope Gate turns slightly left and becomes Deanery Street." From this, and the accompanying maps, I gleaned - correctly, as it happened - that I should be looking for a Deanery Street, branching off to my right. I trekked up this road with the large buildings, convinced that I was headed in completely the wrong direction. Boy, was I glad when I came across a rental bike stand with accompanying map. I was absolutely astonished to discover that I was headed in exactly the right direction!

So I managed to identify Deanery Street, up along the side of the Dorchester - where the service entrances are. Despite the street sign not being visible from the road. And once I managed to dodge all the taxis that had business there, I was on track for my destination. Google Maps tells you to "Turn left onto S Audley Street. Turn right to stay on S Audley Street. Destination will be on the right." Ehh - well yes, turn left onto S Audley Street. I was then looking for a right turn somewhere, with the church on it - whereas all I had to do was follow the road and I suddenly saw it ahead. As I say, slightly bonkers directions.

This church, apparently, was used in Love, Actually. It's ages since I saw it and I can't remember that. But anyhoo. My ticket arrived in the post just two days ago, and I breathlessly handed it in as I entered. I was only just in time, and downstairs was pretty full; seeing people upstairs, I headed up that way myself. Pictures here.

Well, if there were a league table of carol services, this would come near the top. Firstly, it was candlelit - properly - so we all got our own individual candles, and the lights were dimmed. Secondly, the musical director rocks! He had a few different choirs, but they were all really talented, and the musical arrangements inventive. How about a hip-hop version of Ding Dong Merrily on High, for instance? There was a strong emphasis on audience participation, and a good mix of that and readings, and he really got us going for the Twelve Days of Christmas. I was more familiar with O Little Town of Bethlehem this time, and the readings were quite touching. Ahh - one of the readings was The Night Before Christmas. Brought a tear to the eye.

They showed a video of children they've helped - children with facial deformities. And at the end, they were quite canny in sending the smallies around with the collection buckets. How are you supposed to refuse them? All in all, this was terrifically organised. They have another, next Tuesday, at the church of St. Botolph Without Bishopsgate. Highly recommended - you couldn't find a better way to start Christmas!

Mince pies and mulled wine were on offer afterwards, but I don't like either, and made my way home. In the freezing cold. Coming back, the easiest thing to do was head back to the Dorchester and cross the main road there, skirting the park until I got to the entrance to Winter Wonderland, where I was on familiar ground. Had I come this way though on the outward journey, I'd have had to know to turn to the right of the Dorchester, which I didn't - so that wasn't an option.

Well, we have leaving drinks tomorrow, and Friday sees me hitting the Chocolate Festival with Helen. And so we roll into the weekend.. my last in London before Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment