Sunday 14 December 2014

Book Tour: So, Anyway... (John Cleese)

I love John Cleese's work. So the idea of an evening listening to him really appealed, and when I saw how heavily it was booking, I booked a ticket myself. The stalls were sold out, so I ended up in the gallery.

After the trek I had last night, it was lovely to be going somewhere so close to home. When the Tube got to Earl's Court, we had our usual wait. A train pulled up at the adjacent platform, headed the same way. Now, sometimes when that happens, the driver will point out that that train is due to leave first, for anyone who'd like to take it. No announcement was made this time, but I happened to be sat where I could see the indicator board: and the minute I saw the indicator switch to say that the other train was leaving first, I legged it across the platform. V satisfying. And so to Sloane Square, and its escalator to the exit - unusual in a station this size. Upon exiting, turn right, and Cadogan Hall is the floodlit building straight ahead, up a side street. I see the square's gone all Christmassy - it's a few weeks since I've been here:




I knew the event was mostly sold out, so wasn't surprised to encounter a crowd when I went in. I saw a stand with So, Anyway... (the autobiography John Cleese is touring to promote). However, I decided to listen to him speak before I made up my mind to get it.

This building has a lot of steps, although there's a lift if you're not up to them. When I eventually got up to the gallery, I wasn't the only one to be confused by the seat numbering system; I was in Block K, Row E - but kept looking for the row indicators on the side of the rows, when actually they were block indicators. Anyhoo, I made it eventually. Gallery seating is on cushioned benches, but quite comfortable, with plenty of room. And I had a decent view of the stage, slightly obscured by the railing:



If I'd had a book, there was a convenient book rack on the back of every row of seats. I guess the seating hearkens back to the building's previous incarnation as a church.

I hadn't realised, but the interviewer for the evening was David Walliams! Two comedians for the price of one. They spent the first half going over anecdotes from the book, and anything else that might crop up - and the second half was open to questions from the floor. I found that second, unscripted, half more entertaining, as the hall was full of questions - some quite off the wall. Pity they hadn't thought to have a roving mic upstairs as they had downstairs, but it goes to show how good the acoustics are that everyone could be heard. And John Cleese entertained us through it all, with some really funny stories.

When I eventually made my slow way downstairs afterwards in the crowds, I'd decided to get the book - but it was probably cheaper online. I decided to check how much they were selling it for here. Checked the sign: free with your ticket! Ooh, now that's good value. Well, but I hadn't got an actual ticket, had I? O yes, I got one from the box office. Where did I put it, though..? Ah. I presented her with the ticket, she scribbled on it and handed me a book. Lovely! "Don't forget your ticket!" she cried as I made for the exit. Eh - ok..

It was raining when I got out, but at least it's not as cold. Tomorrow night should be lively - I'm going to Erasure, in the Forum. Things quiet down for the next two nights, with a concert by Polyphony in Temple Church on Tuesday, as part of the Temple Winter Festival (after stopping in for a drink at a leaving do). On Wednesday, I'm heading off to see the lights properly, on an organised walk. And on Thursday, we have the company Christmas party, at the Conservatory at Painshill. Following which, I'll be dragging myself and an indeterminate amount of luggage to the airport on Friday, to fly back to Ireland for Christmas. Christmas dinner this year in the Oakwood Arms..

No comments:

Post a Comment