Thursday 4 December 2014

Carol Concert (Hope & Homes for Children)

In London for 2.5 years, and I finally get to a Christmas carol concert! In aid of Hope & Homes for Children, this was in St Mary Abbot's Church, walking distance from both home and office. So I walked from the office, and was early enough to pop into Nando's for a bite. (It was bound to happen eventually!)

Funny how I always think I've passed it, just before I come across it. The scaffolding in front of the building before you get to it doesn't help. Anyhoo, I went in (no queue here) and was shortly seated, nice and far from the door and the cold outside. Service was flawless, food was good - even if the garlic bread was a little bit burnt. I was so early that I was virtually obliged to have their delectable choc-a-lot cake. A must for chocaholics!

Afterwards, I strolled past the shops on my way to the church. Most were still open, and I wandered into Waterstones, where I saw a couple of things suitable for Christmas presents. Promptly looked them both up online, of course - one could be got cheaper online, and I ordered it then and there on my phone. The other couldn't be got cheaper online, and I bought it in the shop, praying that it'd fit into my carry-on..

Then I figured it was time to mosey along for the concert. I whipped out my camera at that point - photos here. The church was pretty packed - I got a fairly decent seat though. They gave us a programme on the way in. The event began with a prayer, which would be the first time I've been at a Protestant prayer service. (There are still people who'd think I'll go to Hell for that!) And then the music began.

Over the course of the 90-minute event, there were some opportunities for us to join in the singing (and for me to make my throat sore trying to hit the high notes). I'd never realised there were two more verses to O Come All Ye Faithful! We only ever did the first and last. And I wasn't so familiar with O Little Town of Bethlehem - I've hardly heard it, and never sung it before. While we rested our voices, we were entertained by a soloist (who performed a beautiful rendition of O Holy Night, among others), a senior girls' school choir, and a group from the Suzuki violin school. As the organiser explained, they'd built a stage for them this year, as some of them were so TINY! There were also some inspirational readings of letters by children the charity has helped, and a list of funny letters to Santa.

Well, the soloist was lovely. The girls' school choir performed a Les Misérables medley, which I would describe as - unique. The Suzuki school was very impressive. Star of the evening was one of the Suzuki pupils, a very small boy who'd been tasked with singing Away in a Manger. Obviously, his instructions had included going to the centre of the stage and opening his mouth really wide. And that is what he did. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have put as much emphasis on starting to sing, after that.. because he just stood there, with his mouth in a big O. Cue some headshaking over the side, and a restart. He got it the second time. :-)

It wasn't a professional evening, but it was quite lovely, and the church is beautiful - I haven't been there before. The performers spent much time competing with horns blowing in the traffic just outside, and there was some creaking as the great door kept being opened to let people in and out - but it was most enjoyable. And over good and early, of course, to get the kids to bed!

Well, I got caught up in other things last night, and today discovered that U2 has announced next year's tour - so all my free time today has been taken up with reading the fan forums and planning my next move - what shows to go to, when I need to book them.. but hey, I got to the blog eventually, eh?

Tonight - if I can drag myself away from the forums - is opera. L' Elisir d' Amore, in the Opera House. And I must try and remember to bring a camera.. oh, and look up where those statues are in the Paddington Trail! Back to Ireland tomorrow. Candlelit fundraising concert in Oatfield Church on Saturday. And Cirque Berserk in Hyde Park's Winter Wonderland on Monday! And more Christmas shopping, I guess..

No comments:

Post a Comment