Thursday 11 December 2014

Film: Testament of Youth

Tales of the Unexpected, eh?

You see, I got a surprise email offer - well, they're all surprises - from ShowFilmFirst this afternoon. A free ticket to a preview of Testament of Youth this evening. The name rang a bell - I've seen the trailer, and thought it was good. IMDB also rates it highly. We had leaving drinks for a colleague, but I figured I could go for one and then head to the cinema.

And that's what I did. The showing was in the Empire, Leicester Square. Ages since I've been there - but then, it seems ages since I've been to any film! I took the Tube to Leicester Square - I notice that a lot of the stations have no advertising at the moment: possibly because it's the end of the year. I completely forgot that Exit #2 is handier than Exit #1 for Leicester Square itself, because you don't have to cross the road. Never mind, I was soon there - the cinema is on your right as you head from the station towards the square. I see there's a funfair these days..



I headed in to the cinema and climbed the steps to the main lobby. I saw a table to my left, with people sitting at it, and lists of names. I correctly deduced that this was where I should go. The lady that took my printed ticket - ShowFilmFirst do prefer that you print - directed me to the left (Screen 2). Well, I felt as though I'd never stop going down.. flight after flight of stairs. I've never seen the like. The cinema itself was big enough - mostly full by the time I got there, and I'm sure they started late. I chose a seat, then moved to the end of the row to avoid the large head in my way.

The film is based on a memoir by one Vera Brittain, of whom I'd never heard. Turns out she was a pacifist, and this film - based on her best-selling book of the same name - details her experiences during the First World War. By 'eck, she had an interesting time, you'd have to admit! Alicia Vikander plays the lead role. Emily Watson plays her mother, Dominic West her father, Miranda Richardson her tutor. Much of it is filmed in Oxford, which was interesting for me, as I picked out places I recognised, having visited there recently.

It starts in the period leading up to the war. And the first part of the film, I must say, feels very stilted. She looks more haunted than she should be, her beau is implausibly perfect, and it's all quite stiff. I don't blame the person who left at that point.

Stick with it, though - war is on the horizon, and the drama is about to be ramped up. Her hauntedness now looks very appropriate, her beau turns out not to be perfect, and everything comes with much higher stakes. It's very moving, and the twists and turns of her life are very interesting. I do recommend this! Pity its official release isn't until next month - it would've been good to get it out this year, with all the WWI memorials.

I didn't stay for the Q&A. Tomorrow is the long-anticipated Chocolate Festival, in the amiable company of Helen!

No comments:

Post a Comment