Friday 29 August 2014

Restaurant: The Perfectionists' Café

So, I flew from Terminal 2 as usual this evening - a nicer experience than Terminal 1, I have to say. I had a few errands to run in duty-free, and as it happens, I was still upstairs - where most of the eateries are - when I got hungry.

After a stroll around to look at the menus - and several lonely-looking maitre-d's that tried to entice me into their respective, uncrowded establishments - I decided on The Perfectionists' Café, which occupies a prominent place, and is possibly the most visible of the restaurants here. It had been the first I'd browsed, and as I returned, the maitre d' welcomed me back..

It wasn't at all busy, and I got a good seat at the edge of the balcony. After dithering for a bit between chicken and steak, I decided that I hadn't had steak in a while, and I'd go for that - sirloin, rather than rib-eye. I noted that it was half the price I'd have paid in Liechtenstein.. I had it with fries; you can alternatively choose salad. And it came with Béarnaise sauce. Wine, sadly, comes only in 125 or 175ml glasses - then you're into carafes, and I didn't think I'd have time for one. Interestingly, I noted, the menu included no starters.

It was while I was waiting that I noticed the sign that read "Heston's Fantastic Food". O lordy, I was in a Heston Blumenthal restaurant - what was in store for me?! I've eaten in Jamie's Italian in Guildford - one of a chain run by Jamie Oliver - and it was terrible. And Heston Blumenthal has a reputation as an oddball. It also suddenly occurred to me that I probably wouldn't get a steak knife - I remember once ordering steak in Gatwick and they told me I wouldn't get more than a butter knife, so I passed.

After a while of staring at a giant caricature on the wall, showing Heston sitting amidst various kinds of food, my food arrived. Ingeniously, the steak was already sliced for me into parallel strips. The sauce came in a little bowl to the side, and the chips were presented in a little metal bucket. With greaseproof paper, and sprinkled with sea salt. It was what you might call a minimalist plate.

Well, it didn't take me long to discover that I was in the presence of sheer excellence. The steak was lovely, and perfectly cooked. When I came across a slice too big to fit in my mouth all at once, I discovered that my butter knife went through it - well, like butter! The chips were really tasty, and the sauce simply divine. If this is minimalist cooking, give me more!! And please, give me the recipe for the sauce..

Service, as you might expect for such an empty establishment, was swift. However, even at that, I have to hand it to them. As I finished my wine, a server passed and asked whether I'd like another. "No," I said, "I don't think I'll have time - can I get the bill?" She had it for me within 1 minute, and within another, while someone else cleared the table, she had brought me a card reader. They also point out that, if you're in a hurry, you can ask for the bill when you order. They know how to hurry, here.

This is fantastic food, indeed - combined with terrific service. Literally every staff member I passed on my way out bade me farewell and thanked me for coming - including a chef. Really, do check them out if you're in Terminal 2!

Still looking like The Grand Seduction on Monday. I should probably mention - just in case anyone wants to avail of them - that I cashed in a couple of excellent Time Out offers last night - they both expire Sunday. So, I got a £12.50 ticket to King Charles III next Thursday, and a £17 top price ticket for Land of Our Fathers, in October - which is the cheapest ticket on sale for that show! You heard it here.. remember, the offers expire Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment