Thursday 7 August 2014

Musical: Marry Me a Little

Marry Me a Little is a mini-musical composed of the discarded songs of Stephen Sondheim - the ones that were cut from his more major works. Now, the man is a legend, and it's not surprising that this was sold out for last night, which I originally tried to get a ticket for. I stayed in instead and read the atlas that arrived yesterday, for my upcoming trip. Of which more anon.

It's equally not surprising, given that it's in the St. James Studio, which has 1/3 the capacity of the main theatre. I managed to get a ticket for tonight instead, but all they had left was the Upper Gallery. When I checked the seating plan today, I was delighted to discover that the ground floor is café style seating, while upstairs are swivel armchairs! No problems with comfort then.

The entrance to the Studio is down a flight of stairs beside the box office. No matter which level of the Studio you're on, you must go all the way down. Then, if you're upstairs, you climb some more stairs, and if you're in the Upper Gallery, when you get to the Gallery, you climb a final couple of steps to your left. There are all of five seats in the Upper Gallery, and by the time I got there, the only one left was by the wall, at the very edge. Never mind - that's not what obstructs the view, it's more the railing at the edge of the Gallery. But, as I say, the seating is very comfortable, and the swivel chairs allow you as much legroom as you could want. The chairs are movable, but heavy.

The show lacks any narrative, or any real plot - but you're coming for the music anyway, so that's ok. You have two characters - a man and woman - onstage in an apartment. I'm confused by the online reviews that describe it as taking place in two separate apartments, considering the obvious interactions between them - but maybe the director of this show just decided to play it that way. Still, I fail to see how it would work with them in separate rooms..

The music, of course, is glorious. Whyever these songs were cut, it wasn't for their quality. And the singing is outstanding. In short, just relax into your armchair and enjoy some showtunes by one of the best writers of them all. For an hour, because that's as long as it runs for! I was surprised - it doesn't mention on the website. But I think it is long enough.

Recommended for lovers of musicals. Runs until Sunday, booking recommended - as I say, this is a small venue.

And for tomorrow night.. Cirque du Cabaret! Showing in the Spiegeltent as part of London Wonderground. Advertised as "slightly naughty", over 18s only, the show is to combine a bit of circus, a bit of burlesque.. who knows what, in fact? The shows here are always great fun, and I'm looking forward to it. This is the second of only two shows they're running in London, and nearly sold out, I believe - certainly, tickets seemed limited when I checked today, which is why I booked. "Wonder seats" cost £5 more - I decided to do without!

No comments:

Post a Comment